acer aspire e1-571 wireless range

Options
shunney
shunney Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi,

I just bought the acer aspire e1-571 and the wireless range is pretty poor. I tried it for a couple of days with windows 8, but hated it, so installed windows 7. Now the connection doesn't drop as much as it did with windows 8, but still the speed is bad.

If i'm in the next room to the router then the speed is fine, but if i continue on to the next room then it drops to almost zero. I have 3 other laptops running in the furthest room with out issues at full speed, so i know that this is just a problem with this laptop. I'm assuming that the internal wireless antenna isn't as strong as the others, maybe poor design and placement.

I have the "intel centrino wireless-n 105" adaptor card and i've tried different drivers and settings, but nothing changes.

Anyone with the same issue ? any suggestions would be great.

Thanks

Answers

• Kez
    Kez Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Yes I have exactly the same problem with the same with my Acer Aspire E1-531 using the same wifi card.

As I only got the Laptop today, I thinking of bagging it up and sending it back as I feel it's not fit for

the purpose it was bought.

The laptop is currently 3 feet away from the wireless router and it still will not connect.

Plug in an ethernet cable and everythin is fine.  This house three desktop PC's and three

wireless laptops ALL working perfectly ok.  The Acer however is not.

I bitterly regret buying Acer.

• shunney
    Options

I've managed to get it working fine anywhere in the next room, but beyond that forget it.

Here's what i've done so far that improved things a lot from when i first switched it on.

Download the latest Intel proset driver, the 15.6.1 full 83.89 MB version (link below)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=22548&lang=eng

Then make sure the wireless settings in the power plans advanced settings are set to maximum performance

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-tweak-advanced-settings-power-plan-windows-7

also

In the "Wireless Network Connection Properties" click configure and click on the "Power Management" tab and untick the box that says "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

That's helped mine stay connected and run better, but still has rubbish range.

Hope that helps, if you decide to keep it Smiley Happy

• Kez
    Options

I updated the driver as you suggested and it's still not connecting wirelessly.

It connects perfectly when the ethernet is connected, but as soon as it is

unplugged it is unable to get authenication through the wifi adaptor.  I know

for a fact that there is nothing wrong with the router as I have a Samsung

NC10 netbook and a Medion Laptop happily handshaking wirelessly with the

router.

Conclusion, the wifi adaptor is goosed, and it's being boxed up and going back to

base.

• shunney
    Options

Well hope you get it sorted mate, let us know how you get on.

• shunney
    Options

Took mine back and swapped it for a HP G6 and the wireless is now working fine after driver update, full speed ahead Smiley Happy

• Kez
    Options

Thanks for telling me Shunney,  Ours went back yesterday.

• bondwithme
    bondwithme Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    Easy fix to improve wireless range just buy a mini wifi dongle from ebay

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321023374826?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

They work great and are tiny so can be left in the USB slot
This discussion has been closed.