acer aspire 5742g very slow booting

bulletinu
bulletinu Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello,

I have problem with my laptop.It takes around 10 minutes to load the OS.Its not just that, also when I listen to music it lags (pauses for 2-3 seconds and continues playing), i have the same problem with the videos.I tried reinstalling windows (new clean installation) and it didnt help.I also installed Linux (Kubuntu) but the problem stays.I cant think of what may cause the problem, so please help.

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Bulletinu (cool name, by the way), your problem might be bloatware that is included  with your original Operating System. Go online and download the free Win Patrol program. It will show you all your start-up programs. Don't delete anything; Disable the ones you don't want. Later, if everything is running well, go ahead and delete them. DO NOT disable anything that says "Microsoft" or "Acer."

• bulletinu

Hello Vince53, 

Thanks for the quick reply.I downloaded the free win patrol program but it shows that i have only drivers (nvidia/intel) and microsoft start-up programs, so i guess its not from them.My original OS was some linux distribution ( i dont know which one, it was only console and no graphic).I think that the problem is not the OS but from hardware.I dont know if it is from the hardware which part is broken.

• Vince53

Okay, I looked at several reviews, covering three different versions of your rig, and you're not going to like this. First, it is designed for Windows 7, so you're automatically going to have problems with a different operating system. Second, it is one of those laptops that cause reviewers to marvel at how they stuck so much power into a machine with such a low price--the answer is that it has lower quality parts. Third, it is three years old, the point at which many laptops give up the ghost.

Having said that, it might not be hopeless. You said that it takes a while to start up. Does the splash screen (the first screen that appears, often with a company name on it) appear with its normal speed, or does it take a lot longer? If it shows the splash screen with its normal speed, then your power suppply, CPU, and ROM chip are all right. If not, that's where your problem is.

Assuming the splash screen is all right, the problem could be a failing hard drive, a virus (Yes, there are Linux viruses), or an Operating System foul-up. So my next question is: Does it run all right once it does get started?

Last but not least, How long have you owned this rig and how long has it had this problem?

• bulletinu

My splash screen appears with its normal speed.Failing hard drive could be the problem, virus - i doubt because when i reinstalled windows i formated the HDD and the problem wasnt gone.When it get started it doesnt run all right (like i said in 1st post, i have problem when playing music and videos).I bought the laptop June 2011 (more than 2 years), and i have this problem 6 months (when it began i had windows 7)

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter

Which core is it running ? The I3-370M, I5-460M or the I5-450M are pretty decent cores for what

they do. Did it come with the 8 gigs of RAM ? In any event, I'd say hard drive. It would probably

be a good idea to pull it apart and clean out the cooling radiator of dust and debris to help

keep it cool and add some Gelid GC-Extreme thermal compound or at the least, Arctic Silver 5 

compound to the core to heat sink which will help. You can and should do a CHK DISC to

look for bad sectors and errors on the drive, but I still believe it's a bad drive. I have a 5742

that I just updated the core on and am using an old 80 gig Hitachi drive until the new drive

shows, and it boots fast to desktop.

You really can't beat this deal for a fine hard drive that comes with a 5 year warranty and

is a 7200 spinner. I use the 320 version in many of my lappy's and they have really great

response time. >

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/822498-REG/Western_Digital_WDBABD5000ANC_NRSN_500GB_Scorpio_Black_Hard.html

I believe this will fix your problems. You may have to go into BIOS and change to IDE

MODE to get the unit to boot with the new hard drive should you decide to go with a new

drive, but if loading Windows, you can change this after modifying the registry via this

how to.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html?filter[2]=Performance%20Maintenance

Then go back into BIOS and change over to AHCI and boot up. This should get you

going again in a decent manner. You'll want to update BIOS as well. I believe the

latest version is 1.30. You can get it at Acer's Drivers and Support along with the

latest drivers for whatever OS you decide to use, save for Linux.

• bulletinu

Im with I3-380M with 4 GB of ram.I just did chkdsk and it didnt found any errors.I cleaned the laptop, but the problem isnt gone.I also think that hdd is broken but i want to be 100% sure, so is there any program that will show that it is broken?

• n2gc
    n2gc Member Posts: 104 Troubleshooter

Depending what mfg's drive you have, here are some free drive diagnostics

I use WD's lifeguard, but that's because I only use WD except for a Samsung

SSD and a few older HHD's I use for simple storage or testing. >

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

If you don't know what drive you have, you can pull the cover and

look at the drive, or go to start menu > accessories > system information >

components > storage and see what drive you have.

• bulletinu

I've made some test with HDD tune and this is the results - http://imageshack.us/g/16/llte.png/

Acording to that i dont think there is something wrong with HDD (correct me if im wrong)

• Vince53

Hey, n2gc, I downloaded those two free hard drive diagnostic tools. Lifeguard recognized my thumb drive, but not my hard drive. Sea Gate ran its short test pretty quickly, but twelve hours later has not completed its long test. HOwever, as far as free programs go, they're pretty good.

The best thing came from my research, though. SeaGate claims that about 1/3 of its hard drives that are returned under warranty are not defective. They have software problems. I have not found anything else that says that 1/3 of hard drive problems are software-related, but that's useful information. Their free program is the same one they use.

• Inspiration101
    Inspiration101 Member Posts: 185 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

To run the manufacturers HDD tests the best thing to do is to change the BIOS setting for HDD from AHCI (SATA) to IDE.  The manufacturers HDD tests are so old they don't like to run in SATA mode.

PC-Check HDD read-verify test is also very good for picking up on faults.

Really does sound like HDD to me.

This discussion has been closed.