Windows Setup could not configure Windows on this computer’s hardware

lapmjr
lapmjr Member Posts: 1 New User

Answers

• It is impossible to advise on your problem without considerably more information.

What is the exact model/variant?

What OS did it ship with?

What OS are you trying to install?

What is the exact error that you are getting?

Any other pertinent facts ?

I'm sure many contributors here would try to help if you would provide more details.

• JohnSmit
    JohnSmit Member Posts: 2 New User

I have the same problem. I have a:

Acer Aspire 5740-5780

Win7 Home Premium

My original HDD was telling me my drive has errors and to back up data and I had to push F1 to continue to boot-up I tried Paragon to copy the HDD to the new drive but had other problems that I wont get into now so I decided to buy a set of restore disk for $19.95 and installed the new drive and set off with the restore disks after the last restore operation it popped out the last disk and rebooted the little light balls that converge to make the new Windows logo started (I'm thinking now were up and running) however after the logo screen goes by the next screen shows that "setup is updating the register then onto the starting services screen then onwards to the starting devices screen and when it hit 100% went onto the dreaded Windows setup could not configure windows to run on this computers hardware then the next screen said setup will continue after restart then it continues the same cycle as before and continues the cycle as many times as I hit the enter key to restart the computer. The only thing new to this computer is the new HDD drive so I don't know why there is this problem.. any ideas?

Thanks for any help you can offer...

• Check here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2466753

This hopefully will help.

• JohnSmit
    JohnSmit Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks Alan-London,

after reading the fix: if I read it right, my bios is already set for AHCI which I think is what the fix is about and I looked at the drive and it is Advanced AF Format. however, first I left the install of the OS on the HDD and tried to change the bios to IDE and rebooted the OS I saw the very beginning of the colored balls of light that form the windows logo (they didn't get a chance to create the logo they were just barely started when) the computer restarted on its own and went to the safe mode screen in windows but again no matter what I chose in that screen it cycled back thru when rebooted. I am thinking maybe if I changed the bios to IDE do a reinstall of the OS I might get a desired result but I have to say that's not likely going to get me where I want to be because I don't know how the drive being the new format might take being under the bios IDE set.

Just a thought, if you have any ideas please let me know..

again thanks for your quick response. 

This discussion has been closed.