Windows 8 failure.

Options
l3xion
l3xion Member Posts: 2 New User

After 2 days with the Iconia w510 I find myself loathing more and more the step back into the dark ages that is windows 8 and long for my water damaged Asus TF101 that the w510 was supposed to replace.

All was not lost, so I thought, there are numerous options for an x86 platform, the deciding factor in the w510's favour. Only to find that the UEFI is locked in secure mode meaning you can only ever run a signed windows 8 image. My question is, is this going to be remedied? If the answer is no, I will definitely be seeking a refund and purchasing elsewhere.

Best Answer

• Leho
    Leho Member Posts: 525 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

L3xi

There have been previous discussion of the locked in mode on this forum.  Worth a quick read to give you more insight as to the future trend from most manufacturers.

You seem to be unhappy with Windows 8, therefore a return seems to be the obvious answer for you.  This is not really a Windows 8 failure, Windows 8 is what it is. 

Leho

Answers

• Leho
    Leho Member Posts: 525 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

L3xi

There have been previous discussion of the locked in mode on this forum.  Worth a quick read to give you more insight as to the future trend from most manufacturers.

You seem to be unhappy with Windows 8, therefore a return seems to be the obvious answer for you.  This is not really a Windows 8 failure, Windows 8 is what it is. 

Leho

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

Are two options:

1: Remove the UEFI (set BIOS password, erase store, disable UEFI boot in that order.

2: Use a tool like Rufus to create a UEFI compliant boot drive.

Once I figured out how to make it boot to desktop and all of the things a right click do (some not obvious), I have no real problems other than the slow WiFi when an external monitor is used.

ps have said it before: the ventless tablet designs must have power management to prevent overtemps and AFAIK currently those Intel drivers are only available for Windows 8 and 8.1.

• l3xion
    l3xion Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you both for your time. It appears the tablet is definitely not for me then. Whilst I realised from my browsing that there are no drivers outside windows 8 for the cloverfield architecture at the moment. Closing off the platform seems like  a very poor choice on behalf of acer and if they have no plans to open it at a later date I do not want to be stuck with this device. As to the failure, not technically, but functionally Windows 8 for me is an utter failure, anyone who has used any recent Android or to a lesser extent iOS version can tell you that. Even the numerous linux distrobutions tablet packages offer more than windows 8 does.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

We each have our own priorities. My main interest is for mobile use and having a sat-nav that does not require an internet connection and being able to easily integrate a back up camera & a second monitor were needed.

At present I need three seperate devices in my car to do everything, that must change.

As to the drivers, do not blame Acer, blame Intel who is probably concentrating on Bay Trail drivers at the moment, Clover Trail has always been something of a "first generation" with many kludges.

At least here we have an OS and seperate drivers unlike all of the different versions of Android each with their own built in drivers, many with only limited fuctionality (one of the devices in my car now was sold with the promise of an HDMI output. That was later redacted from the specifications.

Linux was built with the promise of full adapability and availability of the source code. Android is more of the Apple model with limited functionality.

Years ago when different manufacturers in the US were focused on 1750A devices there was something of a speed contest. Now anyone who knew anything about clocks and gate delays knew that most were pure smoke and mirrors but there was one instruction that could be done very fast, a NOOP (no operation) so there were a number of ratings using only strings of noops which led to the comment that they "couldn't do anything useful but could do it very fast".

The current crop of Android and iOS devices are like that, they cannot do much but they can do it very fast. For many that is enough particularly when hundreds of thousands of small apps abound but none provide an input for an external camera.

This discussion has been closed.