Why does Acer Not allow NX Bit and UEFI control in the BIOS?

Russtopia
Russtopia Member Posts: 4 New User

I am rather concerned with the BIOS included with recent Acer notebook models. Two issues:

1. Why does InsydeH2O not make the NX Bit available to users? This is a useful security feature.

2. Why does Acer disallow users from clearing and editing the UEFI Parameters?

InsydeH2O 'Security' tab has options 'Secure Boot Mode: Standard', 'Erase All Secure Boot Setting', 'Select an UEFI file as trusted for executing'... but THEY ARE ALL DISABLED.

Acer tech support told me specifically there is NO WAY for the user to enable these options.

I purchase this product, and expect to be able to access these important features.

UEFI was not supposed to be 'just for Microsoft OSes'. If Acer doesn't support adding one's own UEFI signing keys and NX bit control, I cannot ever recommend current or future models to friends, family, or customers.

With all due respect, I must stress that Acer needs to step up and support the community of users who use non-Microsoft software.

Answers

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer

Try setting the supervisor password first (but clear when done if not required).

That may, or may not, help.

• Russtopia

I see that there is a non-UEFI BIOS avaailable for this model, intended for Win7 models (same h/w, no difference otherwise).  I tried to downgrade to it (Q1VAC109.EXE) but it refuses to install from a FreeDOS environment, stating

"Please update to the same type of BIOS (v2.x)"

.. is there any way to FORCE a downgrade? I tried running the flash utility with /? to see the options but couldn't find anything relating to version overrides.

• Alan-London

I don't know how you can force a downgrade. However, I simply set supervisor password which enabled me to disable 'secure boot' and finally switched from UEFI to Legacy. Result, no more UEFI and freedom to do just as I please. For me, I can see no benefit to UEFI on a laptop. I don't think many people see where this UEFI thing is going. I believe it is being pushed on the strength of security benefits plus its ability to use very large HDD (when they become available). In reality it will enable the complete lock down of machines affording users no ability to change OS etc. Surely Microsoft would love to create an Apple style environment and this is what they have insisted on with Win8! I did read something about the Linux community bringing legal action to prevent this. I am not a lover of Linux (wouldn't give it house room) but I do believe we should all be free to run exactly what we like. On the other hand, perhaps I am just paranoid!

In defence of Acer, the only way they could offer a product running Windows 8 was to comply with Microsoft's conditions. Nope, I guess I'm not paranoid after all!

• HK53T
    HK53T Member Posts: 767 Die Hard WiFi Icon

i have seen posts about 1.x and 2.x BIOS not being able to cross flash from Acer

• Russtopia

OK, thank you all for the input and suggestions. I was hoping to downgrade but if it isn't possible I can get by. I was able to enable legacy boot. Nuked Win8, as I have no desire to use it. Linux Mint Debian Edition 64-bit appears to work great on this laptop (V5-171).

If someone does find out how to flash a 1.x BIOS from a 2.x, please reply to this thread to let me know.

I still worry about some future day though, when Microsoft says "all new models cannot disable Secure Boot", like they already force ARM vendors to do. It's a slippery slope...

• Alan-London

Possibly best that you managed to get the desired result without downgrading BIOS. Your current one may well fix undesirable bugs from earlier versions.

It's good news that you are now running your chosen OS - that's two of us at least!

Trust me, "all new models cannot disable Secure Boot" is just around the corner. The only good thing here is our 'capable' machines will be worth their weight in gold!!!

• Russtopia

That is why I think it is important that everyone complain to Acer about this. Let them know they will LOSE sales if they ever make Secure Boot mandatory.

It is important that we also file complaints with the FTC or EU to investigate the UEFI Forum and Microsoft about this. I filed one with the FTC many months ago. If enough people do, perhaps something will happen.

• Alan-London

The problem here is that the issue is not confined to Acer. All manufacturers will have to do as they are told or they will not be able to retail a product with a pre-installed OS (other than Linux). Regardless of one's opinion of Linux, from a manufacturer's perspective, that route would be suicide.

Acer will be at no more disadvantage than any other manufacturer. You may well also find that it will be impossible to purchase OS software other than pre-installed with a new machine. Consequently, offering a machine without OS would be a marketing non-starter.

I suspect this all boils down to killing off software theft/piracy. It will be just one more step for all software providers to implement similar measures to provide only through prepaid online 'app' stores and tying software to machine keys.

We may even arrive at the day we can no longer install our cherished software that's been on the shelf for years. After all, we don't own any of it. We are only granted a licence to use 'their' software and who knows when they will choose to withdraw it!

This discussion has been closed.