What is the Maximum amount of memory I can put per DIMM in my laptop?

Options
AJ65
AJ65 Member Posts: 6 New User

Hey, I have an Acer 5745DG-6681 Notebook with an i5 480m not i7. I am thinking of upgrading my memory to 2X8GB. I wanted to know what are the maximum amounts of memory I can put in per slot (8GB in each etc.). I also want to know what is the maximum capable speed of RAM my laptop supports. I tried contacting Acer but they are not willing to help me in any way because my warranty is finished Smiley Sad. That is why I came here. I hope someone will help me. Thanks.

Answers

• wwillemse
    wwillemse Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter
    Options

The Core i5-480M does support up to 8GB maximum: http://ark.intel.com/products/52952/Intel-Core-i5-480M-Processor-3M-Cache-2_66-GHz. So your best bet would be 2x 4GB DDR3-1066 SO-DIMMs.

• AJ65
    AJ65 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

But my memory currently runs at 1333MHz. I found memory that I would like to use this Memory. Do you think it will work with my laptop?

• wwillemse
    wwillemse Member Posts: 79 Troubleshooter
    Options

Faster types of DDR3 (such as DDR3-1333) will most likely work, but you won't have much benefit from the extra speed. The link I sent is the specification of the CPU, and if intel states this CPU will communicate with the memory at a max. speed of 1066MHz, it's highly unlikely that adding faster memory is going to make a huge impact.

In my experience, the benefits of faster memory have always been rather mediocre (you hardly notice the difference in real world use); price/performance value of such an upgrade is not very great.

Whether those specific modules will work, I cannot say. With notebooks, I tend to buy the big brands with their normal modules (think Kingston ValueRAM, Crucial, Micron etc.). They have the best trackrecords when it comes to compatibility.

This discussion has been closed.