What could be causing a red line down the center of my screen?

Hinson
Hinson Member Posts: 2 New User

eMachines monitor; model "e230H" It seems to be there even after windows shuts down. Just appeared and unfortunately the monitor is out of warrantee.

Answers

• Dsurian
    Dsurian Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter

1) Know that this is an Acer support forum, and as you don't have an Acer monitor, you really shouldn't be posting here...

2) Google is your friend...

...but your first step should be trying the monitor on a different computer (if available) or trying a different data cable (buy another if necessary) - presumably a blue VGA. Both of these options are relatively simple and inexpensive ways to troubleshoot a problem like this. If the problem persists, there was likely a short circuit in the monitor...i.e. its as good as dead, and you'd need a new one.

• Hinson
    Hinson Member Posts: 2 New User

Well, since eMachines is now Acer (google is also YOUR friend) I figured I could get an answer here.

[eMachines was a brand of PCs, based in Irvine, California. eMachines employed about 135 employees and sold between 1 to 2 million computers each year before its purchase on January 30, 2004, by rival Gateway Computers. Gateway in turn was acquired by Taiwanese personal computer manufacturer Acer in October 2007, and eMachines was used as a name brand for PCs until 2012. In early 2013, eMachines ceased operations.]

But I do thank you for your reply.  I was going to try a neighbors monitor on my computer to make sure it was the monitor and not the computer/video cars  but, while showing my wife the problem so that I could justify buying a bigger, better monitor, I tapped the line to make a point and the red line disappeared. Wow! Who would have though a simple tap would fix a monitor??

• Dsurian
    Dsurian Member Posts: 63 Troubleshooter

Apologies - as they still have a support site up and running, I just thought it odd that you were posting here. And TIL what happened to Gateway...scary.

A 'simple tap', eh? - kinda odd. Was the connection from computer to monitor tight enough? - cuz if they were, and a tap 'fixed' it, I might advise buying a new cord anyways just to prevent future issues. VGA should be >$5... ...sorry you didnt get to buy a nice new monitor. Robot Frustrated

This discussion has been closed.