W510 & maybe Clover Trail, nice try but one glaring fault.

Options

Just been working with some USB 3.0 devices mainly to use with Windows to Go and looks like all the W510 has is USB 2.0 e.g. a USB 3.0 drive even with direct connect is topping out at about 26 MB/s for sequential reads where 3.0 should be over 50 & the same as the internal SSD. Looks like a UHS-I HCSD card speed is also  limited by the hardware to about the same.

Would like to be wrong but all of my tests even with a 3.0 drive right on the port are about the same and may be a Clover Trail (Z2760) limitation possibly for power reasons (2.0 requires 500ma, 3.0 900ma) but in which case, Acer can do nothing (would love to see a driver update fix but suspect it is architectural. Acer, please comment).

Unfortunately if true this makes it a non-contender for many of my uses & will need to stay with I5s (e.g. W700) for now. Too bad.

Answers

• 1stTimeAcer
    1stTimeAcer Member Posts: 96 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

All atom clovertrail devices do not have the support for USB 3.0 as it is a clovertrail limitation, which means to drivers can change that as it is not support by hardware. So if USB 3.0 is a must, you would need to stick with your W700.

....or if can overlook the smaller screen and shorter battery life, the Surface Pro should be the end of the month.

• jonW510
    jonW510 Member Posts: 18 New User
    Options

And the price 

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

On my stuff a Kingston "WorkSpace"  USB SSD drive shows sequential R/W (MB/s) on the W510 at 26/23 and on a 3.0 system 228/48 (not a misprint). Makes for a little longer boot.

This discussion has been closed.