W510 Wireless Network Adapter reading speeds

Options
Sonic38
Sonic38 Member Posts: 15 New User

I'm having an issue with sometimes even going through speedtest.net it bogs down and lags to the point of sometimes not even showing up on the screen.I have a 80mb download service and speedtes.net read out I'm getting roughly a 78 mps download and 8.23 mps upload.

Now with my Acer Iconia W510 Tablet with I.E I'm only only getting 32 tops with 2/5 to 4 upload. Is there a reason for this? Did Acer go cheap on the wireless adapter or can this be fixed with a software update. When I tested it first I had all the updates from Acer and Microsoft. So I factory reset it. And I am still getting the same results. Even If i'm directly in front of the wireless router. Now I tested my desktop wireless as well it that is 10 ft away and got roughly around 76 to 78 downlaod and 6 to 8 upload. Why is my tablet getting the same speeds?

Answers

• Sonic38
    Options

sad part is save for the 1.51 BIOS update I had dodne everything before I contacted Acer support. Factory Resetting and contacting Acer support was a big waste of time IMO. Considering midway of the converstaion he thought I was speaking about the A500 Android tablet when clealry even if he had mistaken the number I was saying the entire time Windows 8 f, Micorsoft updates etc Ah boy.  Does anyonehave any idea?

• whiskey
    whiskey Member Posts: 32

Tinkerer

Options

Sonic38 wrote:I have a 80mb download service and speedtes.net read out I'm getting roughly a 78 mps download and 8.23 mps upload.

Now with my Acer Iconia W510 Tablet with I.E I'm only only getting 32 tops with 2/5 to 4 upload.

That sounds fine.  The W510 as a 1x1 Wi-Fi, and depending upon your range and security encryption, a 32 Mb/sec transfer speed can be quite normal.

First, why are you using Internet Explorer and a flash site to test your system's network performance?  To test an internet connection, sure, but you're testing your network adapter alone.  Isolate down to an OS file transfer on your local network where your test system (W510) is expected to be lone the bottleneck.

With the W510's adapter you will not be able to match the transfer speeds of a wired connection or most 2x2 W-Fi adapters when they are connected to a Wi-Fi router that can sustain connections well beyond 64 Mb/sec.

To rule out any bottlenecks that would be present when transfering to an external network, I just did a quick transfer from my W510 through my Wi-Fi router to another system networked to the router with a 1 Gbit wired connection. Sending and receiving a 276 GB file returned a rough average of 31 Mbits/sec.

You are fine.  That's the way it is.

• Sonic38
    Options

The speed is fine and I fully uunderstand my i7 Gateway will out perforum via wifi better that than my W5 Tablet ..but to an extent .....Whem my 3yr old HTC Desire Android phone gets the same speed as a brand new 600 dollar Windows 8 tablet than urks me! I expect to get more than 33 to 34 mbp/s download speed when I'm 3 inches away from the router or 20 ft away. Especially when I'm paying 125 dollars for an 80 mbp/s service. I'd expect nothing less than at very least high 40's or low 60 ranage. Again whem my old phone is matching my Tablets wifi speed something is very wrong with that picture.

I even update the Broadcom Wifi Adapter version. Updated the BIOS to 1.51 and did a full WIndows 8 update. Still nothing has changed. On my desktop wired or wireless I get the same results and that desktop PC sits 10ft away from the router. As for using I.E 10 I actually got better results than I did with Chrome and Firefox.  Chrome was reading 15mb and Firefox was reading 22. I guess silly me for thinking Acer would actually put in a decent wifi device. I've seen Ultrabooks and cheap 200 dollar 9 inch screen Win 7 notebooks get better Wifi speeds than this W5 Tablet. Heck Asus Transformer Infinty reads speeds up to 100 on fiber wirless reads. So if they can why can't this ACer W5 ?

• Sonic38
    Options

www.speedtest.net is what the world uses I assume

• whiskey

Tinkerer

Options

Sonic38 wrote:
    Again whem my old phone is matching my Tablets wifi speed something is very wrong with that picture.

Not at all. They both likely share the limitations of a 1x1 801.11n adapter. I do not belive that you comprehend what hardware you have and the differences between wireless devices. That you are complaining and believe a driver fix is all it will take to magically give you new hardware s rather telling.

As your phone, this is designed to be a low power consumption device, and as such it has a 1x1 (single space stream) 801.11n adapter.  It is that simple.  In the future new hardware as implemented into new devices will change that.

You have failed to provide much fundamental information such as how your router is configured and whether it is for 20 or 40 MHz-wide channels.

Even if you are connecting on 40 MHz-wide channels with this 1x1 client, your maximum possible data rate may be 150 Mb/s, but due to the overhead of TCP and especially security encryption protocals of your Wi-Fi network, a 50 Mb/s (~6 MB/s) actual throughput is quite reasonable.

A 32 Mb/s actual throughput quite reasonable for a 20 MHz-wide (half of 40) channels where the maxium possible connection rate with a 1x1 adapter is 65-72 Mb/s.

How much streaming bandwidth do you need and for what purposes?  You have an internet connection that is capable of transferring faster than many Wi-Fi clients.  Accept what you have.  You have not been mislead, but your lack of knowledge has returned unrealistic expectations.

• Sonic38
    Options

no I expected to see the same speeds I see on my desktop via wireless as I do on my tablet wirless close to 80 mbp/s download as possible when my wife's neece iphone 4 is banging out close to 60 mbp/s than there is a dam problem ! And no a brand new 2012/13 Device like the Acer Iconia W510 should not be getting the same rates as a 3 yr old HTC Desire smart phone ...you can spit tech jergan all you want it doesn't make sense tech wise

• whiskey

Tinkerer

Options

Sonic38 wrote:

no I expected to see the same speeds I see on my desktop via wireless as I do on my tablet wirless close to 80 mbp/s download as possible when my wife's neece iphone 4 is banging out close to 60 mbp/s than there is a dam problem !

Listen up bud, a great problem in life is when people whine and complain while lacking even the basic of knowledge upon what they are complaining about.  No one can appear to help you and no one can appear to educate you.  You are present to rant.

For the basics of troublehooting you have failed to state your router type and its connection properties.  That is the wireless hub that you are connecting to and through to anything else.  What are the channels width?  20 or 40 MHz?

That's your for your local wifi connection.

Second you are only using an web ased internet speed test to measure and attempt to troubleshoot your LOCAL wireless connection.  Do a local file transfer between that W510 and a system that is hardwired to your router.

Why do you require so much bandwidth to your W510?  Beyond syntheic bragging rights, how are you being practically hampered?  This is not your ownly computer and therefore your expense for a 80 Mb/s internet connection may not be 'wasted.'

~~~~~~~

Sonic38 wrote:

And no a brand new 2012/13 Device like the Acer Iconia W510 should not be getting the same rates as a 3 yr old HTC Desire smart phone ...you can spit tech jergan all you want it doesn't make sense tech wise

~~~~~~~ 

No brand new device????  No, it is VERY common for entry level systems and budget devices to have a 1x1 WiFi adapter.  As far as I am aware, this standard stock in every Intel Clovertrail system.  You are unreasonably complaining for purchasing a product while having unreasonable and ignorant expectations.

The transfer speeds you have are expected for a 1x1 client connected to a 20 MHz channels width 802.11n network where the maximum connection speed can only be 65-72 Mb/s and the maximium throughput at around 30 Mb/s.

If that is insufficient for your test worthy bandwidth bragging rights, then either buy yourslef a USB-gigbabit etheret wired adapter to plug directly into your router, a 2x2 Wifi USB adapter, or return your Intel Atom Clovertrail system for one with a different system architecture.

That is all the help you can get. 

Dismiss that as "tech jargon" if you must.  That is information for you to learn from.  

• Sonic38
    Options

Don't talk down to me. I dont need your smug life yearns. Apparently you think you know more than Acer? If you did why you on these forums if you know so much? Thats what I thought! Fail! Acer Techs clearly told me this device is capable of reading any wifi speeds that it can pic up.If an Iphone 4 can achieve higher read speeds than this tablet than YES that os a problem!  I'm not here ask you anything. You gave your 2 cents now get to steppin. I'm not intrested in giving you anything or getting any info from you.

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• Phil-3
    Phil-3 Member Posts: 1,181 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Dear Community Members,

This thread appears to be taking a different direction. Please avoid any personal attacks or criticism.

While we encourage debates and discussions, we would like it to be carried out in a climate of mutual respect.

Let's remember to stay on topic.

Thanks,

Phil-3
    Community Moderator

This discussion has been closed.