W510. UEFI It is to laugh

Options

This is just too funny. All along we have been concerned about "Secure Boot" and not being able to remove it. In one of the first UEFI documents I saw it said the Signature Store needed to be erased then we were told we had to set the BIOS password and then we could disable "Secure Boot". OK

Then I noticed that it still would not allow non-UEFI boots and the Secure Boot functions under Security could not be changed. After trying just about everything I figured I might as well enable "Secure Boot". Surprise, once I enabled secure boot, the security options, ERASE and RESTORE, became selectable.

I would appreciate confimation from Acer Technical before suggesting that anyone try this since it might brick but it looks like to disable UEFI in a W510.

1) enter BIOS setup

2) enable BIOS password

3) Enable F12 boot

3) In INFORMATION, erase the secure boot settings (will probably ask for confirmation)

4) In BOOT, disable Secure Boot.

5) Reboot and use F12 to enter boot selection.

Note: To use the Acer recovery, UEFI must be enabled (this may be what the "Restore Secure Boot" selection is about)

Again, do not try this (I have not) unless you really understand the risks. Acer please confirm, deny, or point to an updated document for UEFI and the W510.

ps if you have seen my other posts, while the Clover Trail sytem looks like it could support other OSs, Intel specifically said "not Linux" & only Windows 8 has the power management and thermal controls the W510 needs (sealed case, no fan). Anything else risks overstressing something. If you cannot do what you need to with Windows 8 you may need a different tablet.

Now is this just could have been said up front...

Answers

• Alchemist42
    Alchemist42 Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

I think i did this by accident early on...  the first time i edited bios i used erate the secure boot settings option thinking thats how you turned off secure boot.  Then i later found the option to turn of secure boot.   I've since picked the option to restore system defaults.  It hasn't seemed to make a difference either way in my issues.

Although I haven't been able to successfully boot recovery (not sure how to make the usb boot disk, tried it tonight but it didn't work any better than the others so im doing something wrong.

I did have a little bit of success though...  If I...

Boot the w510,  attach a usb keyboard... hold down shift while hitting settings, power, restart... it prompts me to put in my install or recovery media and hit continue.   I disconnect the keyboard, plug in the external dvd and it reboots to the acer system disk.  Woo hoo, it booted.  

Well, next it asks me to insert the recovery media... which i do but it says the disk is invalid.   :-(   So closer but still no recovery for me. 

• iheartlinux
    iheartlinux Member Posts: 7 New User
    Options

Yes, please, I would really like some clear answers here! It looks like the only other tablets for me would be the older Win7 ones which are much heavier. If you're going to lock the customers out, at least tell us what to expect.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

I suspect there are going to be quire a few Windows tablets available starting now (saw two from Samsung in the Microsoft store) and will fall into one of two camps:

7"-10"/sealed case/no fan : Intel 2760/2 GB DDR2: Windows 8-32 only (may be made to run other 16 & 32 bit OS but may have temp control problems.)

11"-13"/vented case/fan: Intel I3 or I5/DDR3: essentially run anything a PC can

Now the question is why has Acer released the W710 (I5) in Europe, but not the US ? (seem to have an 2760 TF810C instead)

I am looking mainly for two areas: Automotive (2760 is fine but need 7") and Enterprise (I5 territory) so will be studying both. Will look at the I5 selections as they come out, wonder how long before the Acer W710 is available here, may need to go for a Surface Pro instead.

• 1sTemplar
    1sTemplar Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

how do you enter the bios?  thanks

• Alchemist42
    Alchemist42 Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

Power off the unit... then press Volume DOWN While pressing the power key.  It will boot to bios.

• Walder
    Walder Member Posts: 61

Tinkerer

Options

W710? Cant find anything on that version.

• padgett
    Options

Seems to be two:  Acer Iconia Tab W710 NT.L0EEK.001 with 1.4 ghz I3 and W710 NT.L0EEK.002 with an 1.8 GHZ I5. Both have a multiposition dock that looks ideal for automotive. Both have 64 GB SSDs and 4 GB DDR3 ram and run Windows 8-64. I can see vents in the photos.

These appear to be updated W700s or possibly just European variants.

• Walder

Tinkerer

Options

Even with those references i can only find w700, can u provide links pls?

• padgett
    Options
  • Walder

Tinkerer

Options

Thats just a typo imo, its the only site i could find with 710, and the references are form w700, they dont use the same reference to 2 types of tablet.

• quemener
    quemener Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I confirm that this process to boot on an OS different from Windows 8 does not work, neither on CDROM nor on USB key...

I prefer Acer not to provide in their BIOS these choices which are not because it does not work...

When are they going to open a bit their system ?

A bought this tablet because I have to estimate the differences between classical processors and embedded processors : on Tegra 3, I use a CyanogenMod + Debian chrooted to launch my tests : all are working ! On AMD Fusion, I've installed directly a Debian native (but the UEFI boot sequence was a nightmare) : all my tests are working. On w510 and ATOM, IMPOSSIBLE to do anything : no Linux boot, no powerful VirtualBox use because no VT-x.

I'm really disappointed about ACER behaviour : I thought that they changed between early 2000 years and modified BIOS, nothing changes in fact Smiley Sad

This discussion has been closed.