W510 - 120GB SSD

Has anyone put a 120 GB SSD into a W510 ? Asus now has a 64GB Clover Trail for under $500 and I must make amends. 120 GB SSD is under $100 now and is "enough".

Also need a docking connector.

Answers

• jordant2
    jordant2 Member Posts: 5 New User

Currently not possible. These Clover Trail devices are not using traditional SSD Sata interfaces. They are using a flashbased memory much like an Android tab, the eMMC flash is soldered on the motherboard. So there won't be any replacing of the RAM or Flash Drive unless you can resolder it back to the motherboard. And the max supported RAM is 2GB, not sure the flash drive, haven't looked for a larger size as I don't plan on trying to replace it.

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

See the picture about half way down in http://www.anandtech.com/show/6529/busting-the-x86-power-myth-indepth-clover-trail-power-analysis . I thought the SSD was removed in this picture but goes in the rectangular opening near the top in the center with  header toward the right end. I am talking about the 32 or 64 GB SSD and not the 2GB of ram - that is plenty for a 32 bit device..

• jordant2
    jordant2 Member Posts: 5 New User

Yes I know that you were not referring to the ram, just saying that from what I read, everything was soldered to the motherboard and was non-removable. Plus I'm not sure how to crack this baby open! I'll probably get a 64gb micro sd.

• padgett

Am planning to dual boot with the SD card now that I figured it out but want to have this with an internal drive rather that external (yes, this is the w510).

W510 with 120GB SSD

• erephus
    erephus Member Posts: 7 New User

How did you add those two hard drives?

• padgett

Windows to Go

This discussion has been closed.