This page has been archived.

The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links on this page to other sites may not work. This page has been archived for future reference.

See our Discussion Forums for more current content.

Topic

Visitor
hadiyaakub

Upgrade Iconia W510 RAM

Hi,

Could I upgrade Iconia W510 RAM from 2GB to 4GB, is there empty slot or do I have to take out the 2GB and replace with the 4GB?

Thanks and regards.

Valued Leader
freeza

Re: Upgrade Iconia W510 RAM

Good day

You cannot upgrade. 2Gig is maximum.

Regards,

Freeza

Contributing Member
nicholsonma

The W510 uses the Clover Trail processor which is a 32 bit processor and the maximum amount of memory a 32 bit processor can address is 2gb.  So it's a limitation to all the Clover Trail systems.  You would need a system like the W700 which uses a 64 bit processor to address memory beyond 2gb.

Visitor
toolshed2000

Is that really correct?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3_GB_barrier

I think it could address more than 2 GB. Not 4. But more than 2. The question is, is the RAM installed modular or is it kind of a proprietary...

ACE Pioneer
padgett

a) RAM memory is hardwired, there are no slots. Same may be true for SSD. From Intel "Includes support for LPDDR2 800 MT/s data rates, up to 2 GB." What exactly this means I cannot say but the limit for 32 bit addressing is 4GB. It is possible that Intel could not meet battery life requirements with 4GB.

Or it might just be marketting - to get 4 GB you have to move up to the $700 class of tablets which are more "notebooks in a box" than tablets. That is a niche that "Bay Trail" is supposed to fill.

Personally I expect a new class of 7" Windows tablets based on Clover Trail to appear about the time that 10-11" "Bay Trail" tablets and ultrabooks appear.

Once you stop thinking of "tablet" and start on "multifunction personal device with docking stations" then the need is for somethig that will fit in a jacket pocket or purse and in a double-DIN dashboard dock then the case for a 7" screen becomes obvious.

Yes, CJF is touting an 8.4" automotive unit but when you look closely, that is a 7" screen with soft buttons on top and bottom.

Right now I am working with a W510 based "office" that includes a special "dock" (we really need a standard docking connector), keyboard, mouse, 24" monitor at 1920x1080, RJ45, and 120GB partitioned SSD running WTG. In the car it adds DVD (SD based music/video), GPS, rear camera, and powertrain/fault monitoring. Out of the "dock" it is a plain W510 with all normal capabilities.

Is somewhat of a kludge right now since no car charger exists (yet) so need to use a second power supply and a 180W inverter in the car and both require powered hubs but the capability is what is important not the form factor.

So if you need 4GB of RAM either buy an I3/I5 tablet or wait for Bay Trail. My focus is on a 7' unit.

Believe it or don't.

Luggable, 1983
My first PC
ob note: Kudos and Solutions
Appreciated if Warranted.
Notary Sojack Y'all
paul143

[ Edited ]

How about Acer iconia B1-A71 ... can i expand the RAM using ROEHSOFT Ram expander??

[edited to comply with guidelines]

Established Contributor
Philman

Open a new thread for this. W510 and B1 are not really the same!

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Acer is proud to announce the promotion of Philetus to the ACE team. Philetus has been a member since March 2013 and has shown the skills and patience required to be a member of this exclusive, invite only team of experts. Congratulations Philetus!

ACE Pioneer

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: