The DVD drive in my Acer Aspire 7740 has randomly stopped working.

thisisausername
thisisausername Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

As the subject says, my 2.5-year-old Aspire's DVD drive has stopped working. It was working fine yesterday morning (and has always worked fine), but when I tried to watch a DVD last night, it wasn't working. It is still recognized as a drive in My Computer but it doesn't show the name of the (commercial, store-bought) DVD in the drive. When I open/close the tray, it whirrs for a second like it's beginning to work, but then makes a weird sound and all sounds and spinning inside the drive stop.

I have tried doing the registry fix I've found online (manually deleting registry entries), I've tried uninstalling the drive and rebooting to allow Windows to reinstall its drivers, I've even tried gently cleaning the laser and moving the housing for the laser mechanism (I don't know what it's called) to as far from the spindle as possible to allow it to realign properly. None of these solutions have worked. It might also be important for me to mention that before I uninstalled/reinstalled the drive last night (the first solution I attempted), the drawer would not open at all unless I did so manually with a paperclip.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really appreciate hearing them.

This discussion has been closed.