Tap to click on windows 8 enable disable Aspire 5920 synaptic.

mathewjg
mathewjg Member Posts: 4 New User

I have been struggling to disable the tap to click function for the touchpad under Windows 8 on my Aspire 5920 laptop. The native windows driver does not have this option and Acer do not want to support windows 8 for the Aspire (Even though it passed the windows compatibility test before I installed Windows 8).

Thankfully the touchpad software developer Synaptics still supports its customers after more than a couple of years and you can go to their website and download the latest Windows 8 driver. Its has plenty of different options including the option to turn off tap to click.

So if you want the latest driver for your touchpad - its at version 16.3.15.1 and the driver covers Vista, XP, 7, 8 32bit and 64 bit versions. I can confirm that it works fine with the Aspire 5920 but as its not built specifically for any one make/model you might want to set a restore point before installing. You must uninstall any previous Synaptics touch pad drivers before the new install.

http://www.synaptics.com/resources/drivers

Answers

• fquist
    fquist Member Posts: 2 New User

The latest driver from Synaptics (v17_0_19_C.....) will not install on my Aspire 4370Z running windows 8.1.  I have not found a driver that will allow me to do anything but define the left and right buttons.  I've lost the ability to scroll with the touchpad and cannot turn off tapping.

This discussion has been closed.