Sleep, hibernate or shut down: Which one is good for windows 8 tablet PC?

funacer
funacer Member Posts: 38 New User

Answers

• Philman
    Philman Member Posts: 255 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

Each is good for what it has to do.

Strange question...

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

funacer wrote:

Depends on what you do between uses... Sleep is best if you are going to be using it again soon, since everything comes back where you left it quickly. The disadvantage to sleep is that it uses power even while sleeping. Hibernate is great for longer periods of time between uses, since it comes back up with everything as you left it, although a bit slower than with sleep mode. The disadvantage is that once it's enabled on your system it allocates a chunk of drive space equal to your memory size and doesn't give it back when you are running. Shut down is best when you need to clear out bulky background tasks and when you want the system to come back without the things you were doing last active. Disadvantage is it takes longest to come up and doesn't give you the same environment as you had when you shutdown (that's right, both an advantage and disadvantage).

I use hibernate most often because when I don't have the tablet powered up and connected to it's charger it's going to be down for several hours (from when I leave in the AM until lunch at least) and yet I want my browser to show the current page in the book I'm reading.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • funacer

Thanks billsey for prompt reply. That's what I wanted to know. I would like to continue further.

I never shut down my personal computer in my working place. Since it does not use the battery power and there is no issue of power supply.

In my laptop, I use sleep and hibernate both. During the day, I keep it in sleep mode and I hibernate it in the night. There often remain some work uncompleted so it is better to hibernate in the night to continue the next day.

In case of tablet, it is some how different. Tablet is neither completely similar to mobile phone nor laptop. You accept the call in mobile phone so you will not want to keep it off. In tablet, I do not have to accept any call. I do not want to shut down my tablet. Sometime I want to hibernate it.  I am constraint to keep it always in sleep mode since there is no hibernate option in Iconia W510. Sleep mode also consume some battery.

Is there any way to hibernate the Iconia W510?

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Pretty sure mine was enabled at one point but I turned off to conserve the disk splace.

More than you ever wanted to know is at http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

• funacer

Thanks padgett for the reply, it is helping.

Is there any harm to the tablet to keep it always in sleep mode except consuming the battery? It is the option to avoid the hibernate. Like in phone, we never switch off it.

• padgett

How much battery is used in sleep depends on how you have the power configured. If you allow the BT and WiFi to turn off then they may need to reconnect when it wakes up.

• billsey

funacer wrote:

Thanks billsey for prompt reply. That's what I wanted to know. I would like to continue further.

Is there any way to hibernate the Iconia W510?

Go into Control Panel and use tge search function for 'hibernate'. There will be several results under Power Options, pick Choose what the power buttons do. Down near the bottom of that page is where you can turn on the display of the hibernate function.

Here's a quick cut'n'paste showing one way to fully enable and disable hibernation.

1. To Enable Hibernate
    NOTE: This step will restore the hiberfil.sys file, and the Allow hybrid sleep and Hibernate after Power Options under Sleep.
    A) Open a Elevated Command Prompt.

B) In the elevated command prompt, type powercfg -h on and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    Hibernate - Enable or Disable-enable.jpg
    C) Close the elevated command prompt.

D) If you would also like to have hibernate turned on, then you will also need do to step 2 in OPTION FOUR below.
    2. To Disable Hibernate
    NOTE: This step will disable hibernation, delete the hiberfil.sys file, and remove the Allow hybrid sleep and Hibernate after Power Options under Sleep. This will also disable fast startup in Windows 8.
    1. Open a Elevated Command Prompt.

2. In the elevated command prompt, type powercfg -h off and press Enter. (see screenshot below)
    Hibernate - Enable or Disable-disable.jpg
    3. Close the elevated command prompt.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • funacer

Is there any harm to the tablet if keeping always in sleep mode. I always keep my tablet in sleep mode. I am not sure but up to now I think that it just consume the battery but no any other disadvantage. Is there any other disadvantage to keep the tablet always in sleep mode?

• billsey

Not that I know of. It should be perfectly safe to stay in sleep mode as long as you don't end up fully discharging the battery.

• funacer

The life span of SDD and HDD is different. The tablet uses SDD RAM and in sleep mode SDD RAM always remain powered. Am I correct? Does it decrease the life span of SDD RAM? What is the average life of the tablet (or SDD RAM) when always keeping it on or sleep mode?

• funacer

padgett
    and
    billsey

I followed all these steps to enable the hibernate (http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html). I run "powercfg -h on" in the administrative mode and I also find in registry editor that the HibernateEnabled is set to 1.

But still I do not find the hibernate option in Advanced Power Plan Settings. Any suggestions???

• billsey

Just one more step then. In one of the pages of power options (control panel; power options; change plan settings; choose what the power buttons do) near the bottom is a check box to turn on the display of hibernate.

• billsey

funacer wrote:

The life span of SDD and HDD is different. The tablet uses SDD RAM and in sleep mode SDD RAM always remain powered. Am I correct? Does it decrease the life span of SDD RAM? What is the average life of the tablet (or SDD RAM) when always keeping it on or sleep mode?

Life span of the SSDs is affected by how many times you write to each of the cells, not by power cycles or power on times. During sleep there is the potential for some disk activity, but very, very minimal (normally they turn off HDs during sleep so they don't expect the disks to be available).

• padgett

I really would not be too concerned, back in the last millenia the first MFM drive life was in months, the ATA drives greatly improved on that but were still rotating media. Solid State Drives have none so life is more a matter of power conditioning than anything else - I always derate the filament voltages in old radios to increase life).

All I know is that the eeproms in my cars from the '80s still work just fine.

• funacer

billsey

Sorry to say, I do not find still. I have attached below the screen shot

2013-08-17.jpg

• billsey

funacer wrote:

billsey

Sorry to say, I do not find still. I have attached below the screen shot

2013-08-17.jpg

Unfortunately all I see is the triangular symbol. :-(

• funacer

billsey

Please see, does it show the screen shot?

• billsey

Yes, I can see it now. Do you have a 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' link near the top? If so try clicking on that. If you don't you might have hybrid sleep enabled, though it shouldn't be for a bettery powered device...

• funacer

Yes I have 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' link. After clicking the link, it just make me able to change the settings but I do not see any option for hibernate.

• billsey

OK, looks like it's going to be harder on yours than it is on mine. Open an admintrator command prompt (charm bar, search for 'cmd', right click open run as admin). At the prompt type 'powercfg.exe -a' and hit return. Copy the output here so I can see what it says.

This discussion has been closed.