S7 Useful FAQ on recreating the RAID 0 with the two SSD cards

Options
jonstatt
jonstatt Member Posts: 76 Troubleshooter

As most know about the Aspire S7, the unit is supplied with 2 SSD cards. For example if the capacity is 128GB, it is supplied with 2x64GB SSD cards. They are configured in RAID 0, which means the workload is shared/distributed over the two cards, improving further the performance of the storage.

When computers have been refurbished, repaired, or the user wishes to reinstall the OS, they have often seen TWO SSD drives in WIndows instead of one. This means they have to choose which drive to install things on, and they will not be getting the performance advantage of the striped RAID 0 configuration.

I noticed by chance that Acer published a FAQ on how to recreate the RAID 0 for the S7-191 but the information should be directly relevant for the 391 also.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/28526/kw/reinstall%20s7-391

Answers

• Reacto
    Reacto Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

Thanks, but that doesn't work either Smiley Sad It just goes directly from the Acer screen to "no boot device available", and spamming CTRL+I does nothing. Any other ideas? 

• jonstatt
    Options

**bleep**.....this is probably related to a longstanding boot bug.

You can only get into the BIOS on a restart and not a fresh power-on. Nobody has ever got to the bottom of this. I wonder if that same issue is preventing you getting into the Intel BIOS as well. I assume you did manage to get into the BIOS to put it in legacy mode first. When you fail and get the "no boot device available" do you press ctrl-alt-del and try again or are you powering it off and on again then trying? You shouldn't need to spam CTRL-I, but just hold it down.

I haven't tried following the instructions myself....I assumed Acer's FAQ would work.

• Reacto
    Options

I can get into BIOS from a fresh boot too, and what do you mean with ctrlaltdel? When I get to the no boot device screen the only thing I can do is to power the PC off. I can try holding down CTRL+I instead of spamming it, but I doubt it'll work. 

• jonstatt
    Options

I have never managed to get into the BIOS from a cold boot. I always have to restart the machine. Others have noted this too. Maybe that problem doesn't happen when the BIOS is in legacy mode.

Instead of powering off when you get the message that there is no operating system, I was suggesteding you hold down control-alt-delete together to reboot the machine rather than power-off. I thought that would work and then try and hold CTRL+I  . By the way, I am assuming that we are referring to an "i" as in Intel and not an "l" which in some fonts can look very similar.

• Reacto
    Options

Doesn't work Smiley Sad

This discussion has been closed.