S3 fan noisy

Options
Benik
Benik Member Posts: 4 New User

Hey,

I' ve bought S3-391 a week ago and the fan is running constantly and it's rather annoying, since I don't do anything "heavy" on the S3. Same happens even when it's idle. I've send it to the local repair service, where they replaced the fan but the problem persists. I also updated the bios (v2.14) with no luck. Installing SpeedFan, shows that cpu is running in 40-45C, so the fan shouldn't run so fast and unfortunately the app cannot control the fan.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Answers

• Badboy79
    Badboy79 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have the same exact computer S3-391. It was working perfectly fine until last week (I think), when it suddenly started with this crazy fan noise stuff. As I bought it about 6 months ago my first thought was dust. After taking a closer look there was no dust whatsoever that could explain this kind of behavior.

So, basically the fan has now suddenly two speeds: completely off and maxxximum overload. Before it has had a few different speeds than that, I seem to recall...

And no, I don't have a virus or malware or etc. I've been using these things for over 20 years.

Some update that has screwed up the system..?

In Acer Updater the Intel i3-2337 ME Driver version 8.0.10.1464 won't install for some reason... It always fails...

• Benik
    Benik Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Anyway, I 've made a mistake buying an acer product. Right now I have it on my desk, it's closed (sleep mode) but the fan is still spinning! It's a joke. I think I've found the next position for it: the trashcan or give it as a present to someone I hate Smiley Very Happy

• Scott54
    Scott54 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have a fix for this, I also sent mine back to acer but they just replaced the fan so the problem still persisted.

My fix is using this software I found (http://forum.notebookreview.com/acer/711908-acer-7551g-fan-control-utility-fixes-overheating.html) to control the fan speed. You can edit the config to use it however you want but obviously avoid setting it too low. The fan noise is actually ok upto about 90% speed.

Hope this helps.

• moresko
    moresko Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Same issue with an ACER S3 391

Actually 2 issues:

- FAN is running high speed extremely noisy almost all the time. Even with low CPU usage.

- After 30mn of usage (e.g watching a video), It take ages to cool the system again, so I guess there is a cooling issues.

Basically it is silent if you don't use it. but then what is the point...

It reminds me of my old laptop when after 6 years it started overheating and the fan was running loudly

I would accept that after a few years of usage and some dirt in the cooling system, but not for a brand new expensive product.

I am sending it back for repair. 

• Scatter
    Scatter Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Which CPU do you guys have?
  • Scott54
    Scott54 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have the i5 3317U

• rsossaman
    rsossaman Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I would recommed looking at the task manager to see if there are any programs running in the background that are using a lot of CPU. I found that McAfee "Real-time" virus scanning which comes with the laptop was cuasing issues for me. I turned it off and the fan runs much less often now.

Also make sure to update your Bios from the acer website. 

The fan is still somewhat annoying, but it is much better now. 

• AcerS3391
    AcerS3391 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I bought Acer aspire S3-391 on 29 th Dec 2012. Since then it had given me pain of intermittent fan noise. I have updated the Bios from acer website but is of no help. 

None of the post seem to provide any help. Does anyone from Acer actually see these posts?

• Applnokr
    Applnokr Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have the same problem with the update of acer aspire update intel i3-2377 ME Driver 8.0.10.1464.  Has anyone reported on this at Acer?

This discussion has been closed.