This page has been archived.

The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links on this page to other sites may not work. This page has been archived for future reference.

See our Discussion Forums for more current content.

Topic

PBert

Re: Poor Wifi on new Aspire R7

Quick update - I picked up a Netgear Universal Dual Band Wifi Range Extender, put that at a "half way point" from my router to the couple of places I typically like to work around the house and that seems to be working.  As I mentioned in my earlier post I don't feel I should have had to do that since all other devices connected fine. Seems like I essentially added $70 plus tax to the price of my R7.  (Still loving the device itself.)  Got extender at Best Buy so if Acer can come up with a fix within 14 days I could get my money back ....

Contributing Member
lynchps

I also added a wifi extender. Even though this still doesn't give me anywhere near the speeds I get with my other devices, it makes my R7 usable. Now for an update on this problem. As I wrote in my last post, I had called the Acer tech line to see if I could get some kind of update. Don't waste your time. The guys who answer at this level really have no clue. I asked to speak to a level 2 technician. This took several minutes but I think I finally spoke to someone in the US. Unfortunately the new wasn't so good. From what I got out of the conversation, Acer isn't fixing anything. It sounds like it is all falling on Microsoft, (Windows 8 problem) and or Broadcom or whoever manufactures or produces the wifi adapters and drivers. The guy I talked to said he has heard of the problem, but it was wide spread through several manufactures using Windows 8. So there you have it. Don't hold your breath on a fix. I would have hoped that Acer would be a little more aggressive in helping their customers who spent a lot of money on their flagship notebook, but it doesn't look like that is the case. Sorry Acer but I am disappointed enough to say no more Acer products for me. Can't recommend Acer to any of my friends, employees, or customers either. Just not enough support there. By the way the e-mail I sent in several weeks ago...never received a reply.

Regular Visitor
kunalpp

I was able to bring the wifi to the room I sit in mostly since mine is more of a desktop replacement and I don't move it a lot so its OK, I am getting good enough speed will be more happy with the problem sorted out by acer or whomsoever is behind it.

Visitor
rlopez4586

I found the solution on this issue. I notice that when im connected to 2.4ghz my connection speed is 1-2mbps only. So i tried connecting to 5ghz freq and im now getting 30mbps which is my default internet speed. Obviously its a software/driver issue. For now we are stuck on it until acer push a new driver update.
Regular Visitor
sjsinmi

Same problem on two machines purchased this week from Best Buy.  I have reported to Acer via email and now via Chat.  Very frustrating.  5Ghz gave me better performance, but still not acceptable.

Regular Visitor
sjsinmi

Just chatted with Acer.  They want me to send it in and they'll fix it.  That is second level support too.  Ha.

Contributing Member
lynchps

What are they going to fix? If they want to see what the problem is, they just need to pull a new one out of the box.

Visitor
Wildscrubs

[ Edited ]

Do not bother to send your units into IMHO. Just got my R7 back from Acer Canada after costing $90 to ship unit there. Unit now has different wireless modem --- AND THE SAME PROBLEM !!!

Except now if  I restore the unit I have to load the different adapters for the new wireless adapter.

JUST GREAT .... NOT !!!

P.S. Bought unit in USA at bestbuy.com ... and imported to Canada ..... so return of unit is not easy.

P.P.S. Using 5 year old netrbook ... sitting next to my new $1000 paperweight.

..... ATTENTION .... Able to get functional WiFi by limiting my router to 5Mhz .... seems to working at present ..... Not a permanent solution !!! ACER are you listening ?????

Regular Visitor
sjsinmi

I mentioned trying 5 Ghz with the same problem, but I was mistaken.  I was still using my 2.5 Ghz WiFi (same SSID).  I tried 5 Ghz on a unique SSID and it performed much better.  Unfortunately the distance on my 5 Ghz is about 1/4 (or less)  that of my 2.4 Ghz.  So still unacceptable.  I've decided to hold out for a driver fix and use a mini-USB WiFi nic in the mean time. 

SonnyT2

I'm having the exactly the same difficulties with my one month old Acer Aspire R7, but only at home with Verizon FIOS. Even if I place the Acer fewer than 5' from the router, my download speeds are 0.5 mbps to 0.8 mbps. I'm paying for 50/25, and all the other computers and WIFI devices in the house are downloading at appropriately high speeds.

However, when I bring the laptop to my office at work, where Comcast is the IP, my download speeds shoot up to 38 mbps. Mind you, there too I'm sitting just a few feet from the router.

So perhaps this isn't a Windows 8 issue after all? Or at least FIOS may be another piece in the puzzle?

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Acer is proud to announce the promotion of Philetus to the ACE team. Philetus has been a member since March 2013 and has shown the skills and patience required to be a member of this exclusive, invite only team of experts. Congratulations Philetus!

ACE Pioneer

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: