Old internal hard drive

Kevin4best
Kevin4best Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi Acer, I have an old acer laptop called Acer Aspire 3690, I think it has a 60 or 70 Gb Internal hard drive, that internal hardive has had its days, its knacked i was wondering if i can get a new one of it but faster and with about 100-300GB internal hard drive, will it work with that hard drive on this laptop or is it limited what can i get or will any hardrive work so it doesnt matter about the Gb, and what is it called to buy online? plus im putting windows 7 so it will be better. thanks 

Answers

• daveydave7
    daveydave7 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Hi

Your laptop uses an older "ide" connector type hard drive - these have pretty much been replaced by the sata connector type drives, so unfortunately the choice of ide drives is more restricted especialy at the larger capacity end of the market. Now having got all that negavity out of the way the good news is that you can get a 300gb size ide drive from a company called e buyer for around £60 plus postage. The other good news is that its easy to fit a replacement drive into your machine. On the bottom of the case you will find a compartment about the size of  a cigarette packet some screws will be holding the cover on - remove those screws making note of which holes they came from after removing the cover you will see a metallic grey frame this is held in place by 4 screws - again remove those screws taking note of the screw position. Now slide the frame and it will be able to be removed. Now study the frame there will be at least 2 probably 4 screws actually holding the drive into position - you guessed it - remove those screws taking note of their position and taking note of which way the drive is fitted.  

Now reverse the process ! Fit the new drive in to the frame then fit the frame into the compartment then reoplace the compartment cover.

Next step is to reinstall your operating system, switch on the machine pop in your install disc and reboot if your machine does not boot from your install disc you may have to reboot then go into bios settings and make sure that your dvd drive is the primary boot option if it is not then follow the bios instructions to make it the first option, save the settings then again reboot and hopefully your machine will start the install process. It would be sensible that before you do all this you look on acers site for all the drivers for your machine , download and save to a usb stick. Then use that stick to reinstall the drivers that will not be automatically installed with the new operating system

You can not put a ssd drive into your machine but you can install anew larger drive yiou could also put more Ram memory into it - you can check what ram you already have and what options are available for you by looking at some sites such as Crucial memory etc

• Kevin4best

Thanks

• Kevin4best

Just opend the laptop and I had a HDD2D38, hard drive in short terms what do I search to buy new one just HDD hard drive?

• Kevin4best

Its a 2.5 intenal harddirve

• daveydave7
    daveydave7 Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Does it have a sata or an ide connection ?

IDE is lots of little gold pins showing ?

• Kevin4best
    SATA
This discussion has been closed.