NOT Booting from CDROM Inconsistent

Joe_
Joe_ Member Posts: 2 New User

Hello Acer Community,

I'm new here. Smiley Happy

I have an Acer Aspire 5334 running Win7 x64.  I changed the boot order in the BIOS to boot from the cd/dvd drive first.  At first when I tested it, it did boot from the cdrom, however, it doesn't do so consistently.  Sometimes it boots from the cdrom drive, and at other times it doesn't.  When it doesn't, it boots straight into Windows from the C: drive.  When this happens, I notice the cd/dvd drive doesn't show up in Windows Explorer. Man Sad

If I change the boot order back to the C: drive first, the cd/dvd drive always show up in Windows Explorer.  Furthermore, when checking in its properties, Windows tells me "This device is working properly".  Once the boot order is set to the C: drive first, the cd/dvd drive works fine when I play movie dvds.

I was using Isyde H20 version 1.00.  So then, I checked Acer's site here and updated my BIOS to version 1.06 (which is the latest).  When I tested it I'm getting the same issue, so I'm puzzled.

I should mention that the Acer site does have an older version 1.04 which description reads:  "1. Fixes Boot Order variable fail When Plug in too many storage. 2. Adds Insyde workaround for boot device vairable lost issue."  While it does appear to somewhat address the issue I'm having, it is confusing.  Also, since it is an older version, shouldn't the newer one already have that issue fixed as well?

I'm open to suggestions and advice.

Thanks.

Answers

• Joe_
    Joe_ Member Posts: 2 New User

OK, just reporting back to the community.

I flashed BIOS version 1.04 hoping it would cure the issue, however, I'm sorry to report that it suffers from the same problem of inconsistent booting from the cd/dvd ROM drive.  I'm no longer under warranty and there's no way to report the issue to Acer, so it seems I'm at a dead end with no hope of this issue ever being addressed or fixed.

As a side note, I also own an Acer Iconia A100 tablet.  This device is going to suffer from the inevitable brick issue that faces all A100 tablets.  Anyone doubting me could just read this thread at XDA Developers, or this one at Acer Tablet Forums, or simply search for the issue on the internet.

It's so sad when a company with such a wide user base distributes products with such issues and defects.  Don't they know or care about their customers?  Don't they understand the value of goodwill in business?

Hopefully, this post will survive whatever moderating process it has to undergo.  I just want to alert potential Acer owners of the possible issues they may face.  Buyer beware!!

This discussion has been closed.