NEW ACER AZS600 Desktop Computer W/Brightness & Lock Key Issues

Options
heysure
heysure Member Posts: 2 New User

My wife and I just bought an ACER AZS600 AIO Touchscreen desktop and after getting over the shock of the Windows 8 different configuration we stylized our Start Screen, checked out the “Charms” functions, discovered some helpful “hot” keys, downloaded Open Office applications, and transported files over from our old desktop.

For the most part we really liked the wireless and “touch screen” capability but still tend to use the wireless mouse. Two things that we are not satisfied with is the apparent lack of adjusting the “screen brightness” and no keyboard or screen indication when Caps Lock, Num Lock, or Scroll Lock are engaged.

NOTE: There are NO switches any where on the frame or bezel and in the charms area there is a “SUN” symbol (we assume is for brightness) that says its UNAVAILABLE.

We've been in contact with level one“off shore” support folks with no reasonable help at all. Their responses sound like they are reading a script, with many 2 minute pauses to supposedly gather more data. In response to the “brightness” issue they suggested that we refresh the system back to factory condition, which would negate all of the configuring we had completed.

We called ACER USA today and was treated very professionally with a level one guy who directed us to a level two guy. That was early this afternoon (7/1/13) and after checking things he wanted to verify he said he needed to talk to engineering or to go look at a AZS600 to resolve the two issues we have. We'll re-post any work arounds.

Have any of you had the brightness and Lock Key status issues? We'd be in interested in hearing from you regarding any solutions.

Sincerely,

heysure

HAPPY 4TH of JULY!

Answers

• Leho
    Leho Member Posts: 525 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Heys

First the Lock key status is not available.  I understand some third party software may work.  Do a search of the forum to see if any solution that sounds workable is given.

The brightness control has been resolved on this forum.  I will repeat the procedure that works when the brightness icon is greyed out.

From All Apps screen, select Intel Graphics and Media Control and wait for next menu

Select Advanced Mode and click OK, wait for next menu

Select Monitor/TV Settings

Wait for next menu that displays the Brightness slider and also Contrast slider

Move the slider to your choice,  (defaults seem to be 70%)

Click Apply

Wait for popup to confirm the new setting(s).

Repeat as necessary.

I thought that I had come up with an easier method but I cannot recall what it was or if it was just my imagination.  If you come up with a quicker method, please post the result.

Happy belated Dominion Day.

Leho

• heysure
    heysure Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Leho,

THANKS for your feedback regarding the brightness issue with the AZS600 AIO desktop. It works and has made our viewing more pleasureable. In addition to our original Post we had discussed the issue with ACER Level II USA support getting the same feedback. The off shore folks sugggested that we do a "system refresh" back to original factory settings.

ACER USA support also told us about having an "audible" tone when any of the LOCK keys are engaged. It's kind of Mickey Mouse but what hapens is once turned on if/when you hit any of the lock keys there is a "high pitch" beep meaning you just turned it on and a "Lower pitch " when turned off.

To access this feature go to CONTROL PANEL, EASE OF ACCESS CENTER, MAKE THE KEYBOARD EASIER TO USE, TURN ON TOGGLE KEYS ................ Then like the Road Runner says Beep Beep!!

Heysure

• Leho
    Leho Member Posts: 525 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

Well, some of you will be pleased to know that it wasn't just my imagination. (ie the mind isn't totally gone yetSmiley Very Happy)

I have re-found a quicker route for brightness control on the ZS600s with the settings icon greyed out.

When I am on my desktop screen, I have an icon on my taskbar which hovering identifies as "hotkey". (It seems to vanish from the taskbar if I open anything else.)

Right clicking on this icon produces a popup menu that includes 'brightness'.  Clicking (left) on that produces a brightness slider that works.

Leho

This discussion has been closed.