My Acer, an Acerpower f2 has lost the Desktop, even in safe mode. Why?

mrommer
mrommer Member Posts: 4 New User

Smiley SurprisedSeveral Months ago, My Acer went wacko when I was online, I managed to get the Windows Logo page to come up, you with the moving bar thing that makes one think all is fine an dandy, but, guess what, to my dismay I saw a blank screen, black, oh the mouse pointer turns into an hour glass, but, then a few seconds later the Windows closing page comes on an stays on,

Of course I press the button to shut it off, after looking that butterfly for a long time, I turn it on the check. Screen comes up an scans, my hope soars, the Windows login page comes on an  after that...Blank... Windows closing page comes on an stays on. Repeat many times over several days, Even had advise from my Son to put in Safe mode an go from their to put it right, but, it went in Safe Mode, But..... No Desktop.. {XP/Prof. wSp3}

Any Ides?

[subject line edited for clarity]

Answers

• tom85
    tom85 Member Posts: 257 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

Hello

Trye this solution:

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature

To start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature, follow these steps:

1. Start your computer.
    2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
    3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
    4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.
  • mrommer

I'm sorry, that didn't work, I even tried debug. That didn't work. My Son when I first told him said that it sounded like my user profile is lost, besides I had trouble with the power, it keep turning off. Also I read that support was to stop on computers with SP3, are they going to come out with SP4.

Thank you.

Roger

• tom85
    tom85 Member Posts: 257 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

You can restore your factory settings by

How to recovery your system from bootup

1. Locate the Alt key, to the left of the space bar, and F10, on the top row of keys.
    2. Power the system on.
    3. When the system is powered on, tap the Alt and F10 keys together at the same time when the Acer splash screen appears.
      It should state "Please wait a moment..." with the Acer logo in the upper left hand corner.
    4. At the eRecovery Management menu it will ask you how to restore.
    5. Click on the restore option you would like to use.
  • mrommer

Sorry, that did not work,  but, f10 when I'm in the Bio's just returns it to the default, when I taped the the Alt key with the f10 at the acer splash screen didn't start any anything, the only thing that I noticed was the boot screen that appeared after the splash screen, as it always has, except that at the bottom wear it usually says boot from CD it says updating ee something and just goes on as it always has. And no desk top, and I also noticed that when I try to put it in safe mode it shuts off.

Roger

• SweetT756
    SweetT756 Member Posts: 4 New User

I am having similar problems with my Gateway Desktop, but I cannot even get safe mode to load.  Have tried last good configuration, also internal recovery and recovery disks.  The Gateway Recovery Management screen says "Pleas wait a moment" and the icon shows it is thinking, but nothing else.  I even let this run overnight, hoping for some result - but none.  Can someone please help me?  I figured out how to access the screen to boot in safe mode, but I don't know what the BIOS means or whether something is wrong with it or not.

• mrommer

On the Gateway screen you should the bottom see setup press the key, or tap it, either way that will send you to your BIOs, if one way doesn't work, sending you to Windows, just let it load then restart and try the other way, you should hear a sound from your Gateway, as for the missing Desktop I don't have a clue.

Roger

This discussion has been closed.