Micro usb for W510 proper name ?

Damreal
Damreal Member Posts: 123 New User

I was looking for a micro usb that would be small without an inch or 2 of cable tethered to it dangling from the port (much like the one Acer sends with the W510/W511. I happen to find one in Walmart in a package of a dozen or so usb/ethernet/micro ends. It was less than half an inch and it was solid no cable so when i stick my thumb drive it it stuck straight out about an ich or so from the tablet no floppimg around. Alas it didnt work.mSmiley Sad.  Yet when i tried it tethered to my phone it charged but with the tablet it wouldnt read the thumb. Pretty sure even thought it fit it was not the right type. So anyone know the proper term...so i can find one like the above without any flop? Not only is it bothersome but its ugly as hell.    

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,621 Trailblazer

You are looking for a micro USB male to USB female. I'd guess what you got was an adapter only for charging, not for full USB. Here is one as an example.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I just ordered one of these: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007OU0A90 BTW it is a USB micro B.

Have a number of cords that are charge only. They usually have a thinner cable.

• Damreal

yeah micro b i remember you mentioning it on another thread. The one im looking for (hopefully the make ) is like i mentioned just the micro part with a female full sized virtually the length inch tops. The one i had was perfect but clearly not micro B

• Damreal

So would this work. I had one almost identical that worked with 2 or 3 phones I tested (charge only) but no doubt it was a B..

http://www.amazon.ca/female-Micro-male-Connector-Adapter/dp/B0023FTRUO/ref=sr_1_10/188-5069083-9287753?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1379226066&sr=1-10&keywords=micro+usb+b

• Damreal

@now i have one like i mentioned that looks like the one in the link i provided and it says usb af- and underneath it says Microb ...now it would work with anything hooked to it to the tablet. Yet when i put the micro usb part in my Nokia Lumia 820 and used a male to male usb cord attached to it ...the phone charged. Yet would not seen on my Acer Desktop I tried it on. So I read online that maybe the plastic around it may be up too high shortening the micro usb end ....So jappy as hell I dug it out and used a knife just 20mins ago made perfect cuts and it made it longer ....I crossed my fingers and the dam thing still didnt work Smiley Sad

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

The solid adapter mentioned earlier would work but I do not like to cantilever forces on a tablet socket. The http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00932N46S/ reduces stress and is fine on a W3 or my Samsung phone but covers the HDMI port on a W510.

• Damreal

yeah i have the one that came with the w510 and ace sent me one when i misplaced it i don't want some otg cable flopping around and **bleep** ...I want a solid mount one but as i stated the on i had either didn't work that was or that kind wont work but if you clicked the link i sent scroll down plenty of reports usggest it works with Android when reading phone etc

This discussion has been closed.