Keyboard replacement problem.

Options
ashvin1210
ashvin1210 Member Posts: 1 New User

I recently spilled a little bit of water on my Acer Aspire 5740. I quickly took the battery out, checked the hard drive, and turned it over so any water in the keyboard could drip out. When I put it back together, it seemed to be working fine until I found that certain keys failed to work. I decided to replace the keyboard. While disconnecting the cable, a skinny black piece came out as well, maybe it's the part called the cable lock? It's hard for me to describe, but it fit into the computer, and now it's been misplaced. Is this something that can be fixed with a new part? I cannot find any information about this.

Answers

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

I think I know what you're talking about. Do you mean the small black tab that's connected to the port where the ribbon cable slides into for the keyboard? This is a locking tab to hold a ribbon cable in place. Hopefully it's not that part you're talking about because they are usually very hard to replace. I mean solder and steady hands hard. You might be able to find one online and CAREFULLY put the tab back on the port, but honestly I'm doubting it.

To clarify, this piece is small and black, it is (was) connected to a small white tab directly mounted on the mainboard. And you had to (should have) flip up the tab in order to remove the keyboard?

This discussion has been closed.