This page has been archived.

The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links on this page to other sites may not work. This page has been archived for future reference.

See our Discussion Forums for more current content.

Topic

Visitor
abc123

Internal fan issue with S7-391

Hi,

I'm working on a solution to my S7's fan which makes a grinding noise every time I rotate the computer to the vertical position.  When the computer is flat on a desk, the fan works just fine with minimal noise but when I recline and hold the computer on my knees, with the screen tilted vertical, to watch a movie, a grinding noise comes from inside the computer.  I took off the back cover to diagnose the problem and it appears that fan #2 (the smaller of the two fans) rubs on the fan shroud when the computer is held vertically.  Very annoying.

I contacted Acer's customer service (Indian call centre) which informed me that I would have to send in my computer for 10-15 days.  I know what the problem is - the fan needs to be replaced but I can't seem to find any s7 parts available on ebay, etc.  Installation takes under 2 minutes do I'm keen on doing the repair myself.  Does anyone know where to get a replacement S7 fan or a shop that would be able to supply one?

And for those who are interested, Acer has employed a way to prevent self-repairs.  The computer will not turn on with the back cover removed on the S7.  A few of the screws are connected to a switch which prevents the computer from switching on with the back removed.  Simply screw in the screws which have a small copper section on the board around the screw hole and you'll be able to boot the computer to diagnose your system issue.

Thanks in advance for the  help.

tmk
Established Member
tmk

Re: Internal fan issue with S7-391

Any chance you'd post some pictures of the internals?

Love to see the system board.. 

TMK

aiyaaabatt

Re: Internal fan issue with S7-391

I too am having a similar problem.

My small (right keyboard side) fan was working fine until this morning.  I turned the computer on, and now when the small fan turns on, it makes a non-stop grinding noise.  

I am wondering if there is a fix to this without sending the laptop in?  Or, where can I purchase a new fan?

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Please join me in congratulating IronFly who is the first Acer Community Member to achieve the rank of ACE Pathfinder. IronFly has shown a consistent willingness to help others and has worked hard to earn this new Rank. Congrats and Thank You IronFly.

ACE Pathfinder

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: