Iconia W700 and Windows 8.1 RTM

micklord
micklord Member Posts: 5 New User

I've just upgraded my Iconia W700 to Windows 8.1 Pro RTM 64bit.

Everything worked well, except for the Camera which no longer works. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Answers

• jason2234
    jason2234 Member Posts: 85 Troubleshooter

i have rtm running as well. us-en single language. 

i actually havent tested my camera lol i will check and get back with you

• jason2234
    jason2234 Member Posts: 85 Troubleshooter

Apart from the camera being pointless in low light mine fully works on 8.1 rtm

• MohenjoDaro
    MohenjoDaro Member Posts: 7 New User

How did You get it to activate? I can't activate my upgrade to Windows 8.1 Single Language x64.

• ptrkhh
    ptrkhh Member Posts: 72 Troubleshooter

The camera works without installing any drivers. make sure youve given the app permission to use the camera.

To give / block permission, swipe from the right edge of the screen, then tap Settings, and tap Permissions.

If that does not help, try downloading some other apps that utilize the camera like InstaPic or Acer Crystal Eye.

For activation, you need to do via phone activation if you choose to clean install 8.1. To do that, just follow the instruction on the Settings > Activation. the process itself is very straightforward, took 5-10 minutes.

• micklord

It's not permissions - I've tried other apps, I've tried a complete reinstall of windows 8.1.

It could be just me, but I'm so disapointed with Windows 8.1! 

Almost none of my modern UI applicions work anymore (Netflix, Camera, Radiant Defence, Skype, catchupTV... the list is almost endless. My tablet has become little more than an ereader and email/surf - nothing else works any more!

I also get intermiitent failures in both bluetooth and wifi (switch off/switch on - and it starts working again). When I say intermittent - I mean at least once an hour.

This is so sad, because when everything is working, this is the best computing device I've ever had, and I so want to love winodws 8.1 (even though Microsoft is loosing the plot with changes like removing facebook integration from the pictures app).

• ptrkhh
    ptrkhh Member Posts: 72 Troubleshooter
    Try recreating your user account.
    0. Backup your data
    1. Create a temporary user account with admin privileges
    2. Log out from your account and log in to that temporary account
    2. Remove your user account
    3. Restart
    4. Recreate your user account
    5. Now you can remove the temporary account, good luck
  • micklord

I've just been doing more investigation, and I suspect some of it may be down to a failure of the Microsoft HID Sensor Collection driver..

• micklord

And BTW - just to keep you happy, I tried it and it didn't work. I didn't expect it to, because like I said, I've done a complete reinstall of windows and had the same issue (btw, can you explain the logic of thinking that that would work given the complete reinstall?)

• micklord

I activated with a new key

This discussion has been closed.