I'm on my 4th S7, this thing needs a recall. DOUBLED KEYSTROKES

Options
elouisyoung
elouisyoung Member Posts: 2 New User

Luckily I bought my S7 from frys.  I'm on my 4th one.  Every single one has had the same keyboard problem with the doubled keystrokes.  I write software for a living, and this is currently my main dev laptop(on which I am running linux).  I create about 200 doubled keystrokes per day while using this laptop.

IF YOU DON'T THINK YOUR S7 HAS THIS PROBLEM, I WOULD BET MY LIFE YOU ARE WRONG.

Please reply and lets keep this post at the top!

Oh, and get this... recently I was hosting the la hack night meetup, and someone saw me using my S7...  He immediately came over and asked me if my keyboard was also broken.   I showed him how it produces nonstop doubled keystrokes, and he proceeded to show me how much worse his is...  His was so sensitive you could basically blow on the keyboard and it would type out a whole bunch of characters.

Acer, please do the right thing here.   Issue a recall due to this massive design/QC failure and finally fix this.

Answers

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

So you would bet your life every S7 has this problem? Not very likely is it.

Far more probable that Linux is the issue in my view (poor drivers).

Without wishing to appear contentious, I would seriously consider a different OS - I would bet my life your problem will be solved!

• bornto_chill
    bornto_chill Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Alan-London, you are mistaken.

This issue has been reported numerous times in Acer community forum threads among S7 users running the stock Windows 8. I am experiencing the repeating characters issue myself on my S7 (Windows 8), which is on its way to Acer for repair with the main issue being an inability to operate on battery, also being reported in this forum by many S7 users.

The Acer S7 is a thing of beauty but I am really questioning quality control what with the Wi-Fi/Bluetooth driver issues, the keyboard issues and battery issues. I have encountered all three.

• elouisyoung
    elouisyoung Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Alan-London,

nope, wrong.

I have 100% perfectly functioning drivers in linux for all components.

on 2 of the laptops I noticed the problem before I even blew away the windows malware/os.

• Alan-London
    Alan-London ACE Posts: 793 Pioneer
    Options

Well, I stand corrected!

Mind you, I am bewildered why you would buy four S7 laptops when you know that every one ever made was faulty!

And why would you wipe 2 machines knowing they were faulty?

It would appear (but not confirmed) that Acer is the third largest computer manufacturer on planet Earth so they have surely made a fair number of this model - and they are all faulty. Yes, some are having problems but I doubt the number of posts here is a drop in the ocean compared to the many satisfied users. Your statement is not only clearly wrong, it is also irresponsible in the sense that you are unnecessarily causing potential concern to the many who clearly don't have an issue.

• tmk
    tmk Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options

I gotta agree with the first post here - 

The S7 was sold as a premium product and an apple pricepoint. It just isn't - and niether is Acer's support of the product.

It took months to get a stableish wifi driver. My bluetooth disconnects from my mouse on a irregular basis. My screen has image retentions. My keyboard has double key problems. I can't use Virtual Machine becuase the touchpad causes high CPU utilization.. Battery life is not quite what I expected... 

It would be ok if Acer was actually interested in supporting my machine. The fact that we still have these issues on a high end laptop shows me Acer does not care post sale. I would have returned my machine but it was in for repairs when my return period expired with didn't fix anything.. So I live with it wishing I would have bought another PC...

TMK

• jonstatt
    jonstatt Member Posts: 76 Troubleshooter
    Options

I honestly do empathise with these really bad reports and follow-up customer service from Acer.

My only reason for commenting is to state that there ARE S7s without the keyboard repeat. I work in IT, and I type at well over 100 words a minute. I do not have any doubling of key presses with my unit.

I absolutely believe there is a widespread problem, but its not ALL of them. My unit is an odd one. Its purchased in the UK but instead of the i5 processor it was supposed to come with (3317u) it came with a slightly uprated i5 processor (3337u). They must have run out of the 3317s. I have had it since January.

• sandipsangani
    sandipsangani Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

i agree with you. i am businnessman and i am having same problem while i do emailing and accounting. its very frustrating. 

is acer is doing anything to solve this problem. i am even having problem while i am typing this comment. 

• bornto_chill
    bornto_chill Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

Sent in Acer for repair because it wouldn't power on battery even when battery was full, and for he repeating key problem too. Acer fixed the battery issue, but they did nothing about the repeating key issue. Can't be without the laptop any longer so not going to send it back again. Using zechofix as a workaround.

For S7 owners, WIFI/Bluetooth headaches, repeating key headaches and battery headaches are common problems. For a premium priced product, I'd expect much higher testing and quality control. Given this experience, my next laptop will not be an Acer.

• JimPuerto
    JimPuerto Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I have had the ame problem with my eyboard too.  notice the missing letters, I have sent myy machine into Acer twice and they say it has no problems.  Like you, i am a power typer, 65-80 wpm (t just missed the p, I had to re-enter it so it wouuld make sense) and HATE having o slow down becauuse off double letters and missed letter.  I sent tthem a sample like this note,, and theyy told me I needed to be careful when I was typing because of the short stroke design of the keyboard.  Bull!  My wife has an S3 ultrabook, same size and weight but with a keyboard that works; thats all I want  The keybord just missed the previous apostrophe and period  Now it missed the period again   Andd again.  I am going to every we site i can and writing a negative review until they fix the problem  or recall the achine   Two more omissions.  How can hey llook at this real life example and say there isn't a problem?

• bingomat
    bingomat Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Same for me, keyboard problem is very bad, sometimes more sometimes less. Especially when typing hidden passswords, it takes me severral tries, because I don't see them. I'm considering refund. And also the battery: it lasts about 100 minutes, only office. Another thing is the keyboard backlighting, I have to turn it off every now and then to see the letters. And Wifi is disconnecting quite often, but I don't know if it's this macchine, because the one before had the same trouble.

(only three double typings above, so it's doing quite fine for now)

• dbcalo
    dbcalo Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Options

My V7 does double keystrokes occasionally. Adjustment of the keyboard settings seems to have alleviated the issue somewhat.

This discussion has been closed.