Effective SSD/Harddrive space in aspire timeline ultra m5-481tg-6888

Options
hamasoul
hamasoul Member Posts: 1 New User

I just got my timelineu laptop, and I noticed my effective hard drive space on my SSD is 94.6 GB; out of which 55.9 GB is free. On paper, the specifications say that it should come with 128 GB space.

I am aware of the conventions where 1 gb = 1024 MB instead of 1000 which explains the lesser-than-advertised storage of many harddrives, but when I calculate it, I should be getting around 110 GB, not 94.. Is this normal?

Answers

• Joshua188
    Joshua188 Member Posts: 523 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    Options

well keep in mind the OS is on the SSD that will always take up some of the space you are missing. this is normal for SSD's

• sjm
    sjm Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

I have an Apire S5 with 128GB SSD.

If you look in Disk Manager you should see how your SSD is used by the System and partition makeup etc..

On my 128GB SSD (Windows shows 119.25 GB) Acer uses:

8 GB of the SSD for Hibernation.

16 GB of the SSD for Recovery (Win 7 Installation Kit package I suspect)

Windows uses:

100 MB for System

95 GB for OS partition (remainder)

In BIOS it appears I have 2 x 64GB mSATA SSD's RAIDED as a Stripe set to 128GB. (Mushkin I think).

I suspect that to go to 256 GB on the System you'd need to trash the 2 x 64GB and buy 2 x 128 GB then RAID them as Stripe set.

Of course you'd need to create a complete backup image of all existing partitions first then create the RAID in BIOS, then restore the 4 partitions that were removed, or fresh install OS.

Steve 

• jcarlberg
    jcarlberg Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Just bought mine from Ebay for 350$ under a year old and it has a single 128gb ssd LITEONIT LMT-128M3M, dunno how good that SSD is compare to a force gt or any Inte.

Will look if there is a second place for another SSD to be installed or if i should replace the DVD reader (or maybe bothSmiley Tongue)

Will ofcourse install Win8 for greater performance.

This discussion has been closed.