Aspire One 725 windows 7 hard disk not bootable

Options
mortonbaychestn
mortonbaychestn Member Posts: 3 New User
My work computer with windows 7 home premium 64 it has died. I have bought an Aspire One 725 but on replacing its hard drive with the windows 7 work computer disc, it says that there is no bootable disk. The same disk boots on my spare computer which runs the same OS without difficulty.

Is there any way the 725 can recognise and use my old hard disk?

Please help!

Sincere thanks!!!

Answers

• st3ph3nnity
    st3ph3nnity Member Posts: 220 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

One way of accessing you old hard drive would be via an external usb hard drive enclosure...I have twp of these that I got from eBay for a small amount of money...of course there are some which are more expensive but the cheapo versions have been fine for my use and accessing of old hard drives.

ps...I`m reading this as though your machine is running but you just can`t use your other hard drive for some reason.

• mortonbaychestn
    Options

Thanks for reply.

Yes, I have a hard disk USB adaptor but would instead like the convenience of not learning a new OS, needing new WP software, etc.

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

I'm sorry to say that when you install Windows the system takes note of hardware ID's for everything connected to your unit. In other words, it's licensed based on your comptuer setup. HDD, processor, etc... So there really isn't a way to move your hard drive from one unit to another without reinstalling Windows. At least it's not something that just anyone can do.

To make moving everything over a little easier I would suggest plugging the unit into a slave port in a desktop computer. This way you can acess your files MUCH faster than through a usb adapter.

Sorry for the bad news, take care and good luck!

• mortonbaychestn
    Options

Did some reading...

Windows 8 boots using something called UEFI.

Windows 7 uses Bios.

Has worked every time as long as I have pressed F2 on time when booting...

Thanks to all repliers.

This discussion has been closed.