Aspire 5742Z fails to boot sometimes

Options
bobbiking
bobbiking Member Posts: 1 New User

Running Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1

Periodically during startup the splash screen appears and then the computer shuts off and turns back on to the splash screen and just repeats this as long as I let it. Twice it made it as far as the Windows is starting screen and then hung there. I ran the startup repair but that wouldn't complete. I have had this happen with the power cord both plugged and unplugged. The laptop is about 4 years old. It gets daily use, but I'm not too hard on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Answers

• kevo
    kevo Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

have you tried booting windows in safe mode and running chkdsk? 

http://www.petermartinconsult.supanet.com/computer/windows/safemode.htm

if windows refuses to boot up even in safe mode, use an ubuntu livecd to backup your files to an external hard drive.

it's hard to tell what's wrong with your computer without having it in front of me. i'd guess that either your windows installation is broken and you need to reinstall windows, or your hard drive is dying and needs to be replaced. your hard drive might only have a few bad sectors and chkdsk might be able to fix the issue, but in any case you should try to backup your data as soon as possible.

This discussion has been closed.