Acer eRecovery "NAPP_KM: NAPP2.exe - Application Error"

Options
jd_hupp
jd_hupp Member Posts: 5 New User

I want to do a Factory Restore of an Aspire 5552.  Alt-F10 starts loading the recovery environment and Acer eRecovery Management.  But it stops with an error before getting to a screen with recovery options.  In an Acer eRecovery Management screen, the dialog box title is "NAPP_KM: NAPP7.exe - Application Error" and the message is "The exception unknown software exception (0xc000000d) occurred in the application at location 0x1005c119."

I loaded up Partition Wizard, and it shows 3 partitions:

PQSERVICE

SYSTEM RESERVED

C:Acer

(PCSERVICE and SYSTEM RESERVED are pre-pended with asterisk plus colon characters, but those are rendered here as smilies, so I edited them out!)

PQSERVICE has Partition Type ID 0x27, and Partition Wizard's Explore Partition tool seems to show intact folders and files in the partition.

This is a refurbished laptop, so I am guessing that something about the refurbishment process disturbed some property of the disk structure that eRecovery is objecting to, even though the disk seems to have the necessary ingredients.

D2D Recovery is enabled in the BIOS, by the way, though I understand that I wouldn't have gotten even this far if it were not.

Anyone know a fix?  (And no, I don't have a set of recovery discs.)

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi jd!

Basically, the eRecovery program has failed, possibly due to a corrupt disk sector where the program is on the disk. Or as it is a refurbished laptop, it may have a new hard drive where the PQSERVICE partition was copied from the original, but failed to copy properly.

Best bet is to contact customer services of your region and order replacement disks for your model of laptop. This is the UK contact, for different regions see here then search support.

• jd_hupp
    Options

I see now that the Windows Recovery Environment is fine and it is indeed just Acer eRecovery that won't run.

Can I copy the backup image files from D2D\Images to another drive (using, saying Partition Wizard's Explore Partition tool) and manually restore the image from there using another program that supports this image file format?  [And if it turns out that the image files are corrupt, I've lost nothing except some time for the effort.]

Or is Acer eRecovery available as a freestanding program (without the Aspire 5552 image) to handle the above?

• finlux
    Options

Hi jd

Yes, you can copy the recovery partition to another drive & restore it from there. If that fails then you'll have to buy recovery disks, because the eRecovery is not available as a download (due to the various amounts of variations between PC's).

Good Luck!

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Jd, if I may ask, Why do you want to do a factory restore on a refurbished computer?

• jd_hupp
    Options

It started its second life as a refurb, but that was some time ago.

• jd_hupp
    Options

Finlux wrote: ... eRecovery is not available as a download (due to the various amounts of variations between PC's)

I assume that you mean the variations in the images of the the various PC models.  But I was asking about getting the eRecovery program itself, which must be an imaging program like Ghost, Acronis, Clonezilla, etc.  I can't imagine that there would be a great number of versions of the program.  And speaking of those, I was also wondering, as an alternative, if another imaging program supports the image format produced by eRecovery, or whether the format is proprietary, supported only by eRecovery.  (I recall that some OEM's just use a branded version of an otherwise available imaging program.)

• finlux
    Options
    As far as I'm aware eRecovery is not available as a download, just the option of buying the recovery disks.

Unless someone else knows better!
  • ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

The software is available online, but not on the Acer site. If you google it you'll find a number of options, for example from Softpedia. I'm not going to link to the software directly due to the risk of malware etc... And you're correct, a lot of manufacturers use a brande copy of another software, but Acer is not one of those companies. Like Finlux said, you could also buy a copy of the disks from Acer for $20 to cover the cost of shipping.

Side note, you may need to set the partition type to 07 in order to make any relevant changes.

• jd_hupp
    Options

I had done a Google search for the eRecovery software.  But I didn't see any sites among the results that I had full confidence in.  So as you said, "due to the risk of malware" I did not download from any of them.

So rather than fiddle further with the attractive eRecovery prospect, I did a clean installation of Windows 7 and installed other software piece by piece.

Thanks to all for giving me what you could, but without a safe eRecovery download being available, I couldn't see a better way to get the job done.

• ScottyC
    ScottyC Member Posts: 433 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

And I couldn't agree with you more. It's not worth the headache, clearly better off doing it your way.

This discussion has been closed.