This page has been archived.

The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links on this page to other sites may not work. This page has been archived for future reference.

See our Discussion Forums for more current content.

Topic

Contributing Member
roswitap

Re: Acer Iconia Tab A100 Won't Boot Anymore

[ Edited ]

I bought the Acer Iconia Tab A100 refurbished last July. Apparently there is a large group of consumers who have this problem with Acer.

Contributing Member
roswitap

After extensive research with knowledgable people I was advised that the Acer Iconia Tab A100 Tablet's "AC DC Power Jack Plug Socket Cable Harness needs to be replaced". Apparently the part itself is not expensive but the labor is. Hope this will answer your questions. 

Contributing Member
roswitap

I am in the same situation. In June 2012 I bought a refurbished Acer A100 through Ebay official Acer store also known as 

www.secondipity.com.

Without any warning unit stopped charging. I did everything you mentioned.

After extensive research with knowledgeable people I was advised that the Acer Iconia Tab A100 Tablet's "AC DC Power Jack Plug Socket Cable Harness needs to be replaced". Or possible the mother board defect.  Apparently the part itself is not expensive but the labor is. I was also told that this is most likely a manufacturer default for which was the cause of the refurbishing. No one wants to take responsibility. 
 It is so frustrating. 
Visitor
fallen_01

I've had my Acer a100 since right after the initial release.  A few months ago, it started the "won't boot" problem.  The tablet had a good charge and was working fine previously.  No updates had been released.  About one hour after using it, the tablet would not come out of sleep.  I pressed the start button to bring the screen up.  The result: the blue light on the power button does not light up, no vibration, but the home button flashes.

Frustrated, I put the tablet onthe charger thinking maybe the battery had unexpectedly drained somehow (though the flashing light suggested otherwise).  After a day of charging, nothing.  I left it on the charger for another couple of days just in case (I know, sometimes my ideas make no sense).  Still nothing.  Obviously, charging was a bust.

Though I have a lot of information on the tablet, I thought that maybe a reset would help.  I tried both the soft reset and the hard reset.  Confident that the battery was charged, when the resets produced no result (especially the hard reset), I thought it might be something mechanical.

Thinking that the hard drive might be stuck somehow, I thought maybe disconnecting the battery would allow the hard drive to lose power, thuse allowing it to start fresh.  (*shrug?*) I took the tablet apart.  I unplugged the battery from the motherboard.  I left it unplugged for about 30 minutes.  Plugging back in still produced no results.  I thought maybe the battery had something wrong with it, but wanted to try one more thing.

I put the tablet back together.  I let the battery drain (no cherger, just sitting) until the home button no longer flashed when I hit the power button.  Then I connected it to the charger again and let it charge for a day.  After a day of charging, I tried the power button.  The tablet booted up just fine.  I have no idea why letting the battery drain completely and then recharging it worked when disconnecting the battery didn't, but that was the difference.

Since that, the cycle can be consistently repeated.  If I leave the tablet sitting in sleep mode for very long, it locks up.  If I let it sit until the battery drains completely and then rechgarge it, it starts working again.  If I turn off the tablet instead of letting it sit in sleep mode, it will start fine.  I'm not sure how long the tablet has to sit before it locks up, but it happens reliably.  Hopefully, that lets someone with more technical knowhow diagnose this problem.   While working on this, I've seen this issue pop up on a lot of forums, so I feel confident that this is a problem that a lot of people have been experiencing.  At this point, I have no illusions that Acer will do anything about this, but maybe it will help some others.

hengman888 wrote:

Hi,
I bought a refurbished Acer Iconia Tab A100 from newegg.com in April 2012 and last week, it just mysteriously refused to boot up. There were no recent flashes, or upgrades, etc. Just won't boot up all of a sudden. The blue light in the power button comes on and if you touch the home button, it lights up, but nothing else works, no vibration, nothing. Tried the paper clip reset, didn't help. Tried the factory hard reset that's listed on Acer's support (power button, volume control, with orientation switch in the up position, etc) and it didn't help; no vibration. 
Also tried to connect the tablet to a PC to see if i can flash it using an SD card, but the PC won't detect the tablet :smileysad:. Yes, i have the Windows drivers for the tablet installed on the PC.
I tried to submit a ticket to Acer Support but it kept saying that my tablet is out of warranty, possibly because it's a refurbished unit? I guess refurbished units don't get the full 1 year warranty. :smileysad: .  

I've searched on Google and in these forums and it seems like this symptom/issue is quite common but so far i haven't found any solutions. At this point, i'm out of idea. Can someone (esp. someone from ACER who reads this forum) please help?
Thank you very much!
-Jeff

hengman888 wrote:

Hi,
I bought a refurbished Acer Iconia Tab A100 from newegg.com in April 2012 and last week, it just mysteriously refused to boot up. There were no recent flashes, or upgrades, etc. Just won't boot up all of a sudden. The blue light in the power button comes on and if you touch the home button, it lights up, but nothing else works, no vibration, nothing. Tried the paper clip reset, didn't help. Tried the factory hard reset that's listed on Acer's support (power button, volume control, with orientation switch in the up position, etc) and it didn't help; no vibration. 
Also tried to connect the tablet to a PC to see if i can flash it using an SD card, but the PC won't detect the tablet :smileysad:. Yes, i have the Windows drivers for the tablet installed on the PC.
I tried to submit a ticket to Acer Support but it kept saying that my tablet is out of warranty, possibly because it's a refurbished unit? I guess refurbished units don't get the full 1 year warranty. :smileysad: .  

I've searched on Google and in these forums and it seems like this symptom/issue is quite common but so far i haven't found any solutions. At this point, i'm out of idea. Can someone (esp. someone from ACER who reads this forum) please help?
Thank you very much!
-Jeff

After that

Visitor
ParadigmShift

STUCK IN SLEEP MODE “UGH”

Jeff, thank you and people like you who post a problem and along with a possible solution.

I have done everything that Jeff had posted even completely draining the battery but after reading your post Jeff, I will keep trying. It is currently draining the battery.

On button, blue indicator light is on and when pressed the home button lights up.

Will keep you posted.

Visitor
PieceofSlice

Yup, 

I have the same problem. I have tried almost everything, I suppose I will let it drain power, then charge it again. If that doesn't work I will most likely sell it...

Contributing Member
roswitap

Just got confirmation that problem either lies in IC chip or battery. It is definately not the AC jack. Repair shop has seen lots of these issues with the Acer A100 tablet. Possible manufacture defect. Not worth fixing. 

Visitor
ParadigmShift

No luck at all.

Visitor
blacccat

Oh thanks, my iconia a100 is four days new to me, but after an update, it is, today that is, not booting up at first. Acer blamed it on no-battery, even after, I 'd told them that it was fully charged! It did boot-up, but only after I connected the charger/USB cord. I emailed them, they emailed back, check battery, if problem persists, contact them to set up a repair. They also suggested a visit(s) to this forum/community. And here we are. Well at least this happened before the warranty expired. Hopefully, it won't happen again, before 12 months, I think. Well, at least, I got the 4.2 update, I guess, yes I'm sure, it says so in the settings app.
ACE Pioneer
billsey

If it still will not boot without the charger connected, it probably is a battery issue. Verify that there is actual charging going on.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Acer is proud to announce the promotion of Philetus to the ACE team. Philetus has been a member since March 2013 and has shown the skills and patience required to be a member of this exclusive, invite only team of experts. Congratulations Philetus!

ACE Pioneer

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: