Acer Aspire V3-571G BIOS: Secure Boot option not accessible

aleconte
aleconte Member Posts: 1 New User

Hallo.

I have an Acer Aspire V3-571G with original 750GByte hdd, from date 26/09/2012. I want to install a Linux Distro (Ubuntu 13.04), but I can NOT boot from USB memory stick, when in BIOS the option 'UEFI' is activated' because I get an error:

"USB HDD: has been blocked by the current security policy"

So, Ubuntu members suggest me to deactivate 'Secure Boot', but NOT UEFI.

I can NOT do it that way you (Acer FAQ) recommend on custom website.

They say "With Secure Boot highlighted, press the down arrow to select Disabled". 

In fact, in BIOS, 'Authority', I can't go down with arrow to the option 'Secure Boot', no way.

So, how can I keep UEFI enabled and disable 'Secure Boot'?

Thank you in advance.

Btw, UEFI is a big mess and maybe the death for computers. Life is not Windows 8 only. Some of us want Windows 7 beside Windows 8, some of us want to be master of their computers, use Linux.

Anyway, BIOS should not prevent to enable or disable functions.

A. Leconte

Answers

• TimoRiikonen
    TimoRiikonen Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

You can set disabled settings by making a password first.

I also needed to check online "manuals" on how to do that but after that succeeded disabling secure boot.

No idea why they have set it like this.

Btw I succeeded to install Ubuntu even before I disabled that. But it is not working perfectly. At least shut down fails every time. Testing now with secure boot disabled if that would help.

Fedora failed to boot at all even when this setting was disabled.

My notebook is Acer Aspire E1-572 with i7-4500U.

BR, Timo

• quanghung1611
    quanghung1611 Member Posts: 1 New User
    thanks U Smiley Happy
  • aleconte:

I have raised the issue of where this whole fiasco is going in the past. There were skeptics!
    It appears from your post that you at least do appreciate where this is all leading.

Many seem to think that UEFI and Secure Boot have real benefits particularly with regards security. That is true (up to a point) but it is not the security of the consumer which is the focus!

This whole move relies on a number computer element working in concert. At the present time, it is all pretty much a pig's ear as you appear to appreciate! It's clear to me that the BIOS still needs work and is causing real problems. As soon as 'they' iron out the bugs, we will see a rapid move towards the final lock down. Already we see that we can no longer fall back to an earlier BIOS. It amazes me how many rush to upgrade the BIOS and/or embrace UEFI. At this rate, we will all be running the equivalent of the dumbed down 'tablet' before we know we've been had! (I admit I own an iPad but I treat it for what it is - a toy.)

While I would not entertain Linux (unless I needed a web server), I would defend your right to use it. Windows 8 (the dumbing down begins) is the first attempt from Microsoft to supply a locked down tablet/mobile phone OS where you ultimately will only be able to introduce new software which has been purchased and downloaded on line (and thus protected by 'secure boot', UEFI and HDD locking).

For me, Windows 7 Ultimate is the best OS for personal computers bar none. I just hope there will be something new (and open) in the market place by the time Microsoft withdraw support. (Please don't suggest Linux.) Having said that, seeing how quickly Microsoft are turning their back on Windows 7 already does suggest that they will abandon it sooner than later!

Brave new world indeed!

This discussion has been closed.