Acer Aspire V3 3.0 usb port not working properly

LekramG
LekramG Member Posts: 4 New User

I have an Acer Aspire V3-551-881. After upgrading to Windows 7 Professional for some reason my 3.0 usb port doesnt not work correctly. It delievers power as in I could plug my usb phone charger in and charge up my phone but it refuses to recognize any external usb devices. It doesn't even beep when an external usb is plugged in. I was thinking that I would have to update the drivers for the usb port but I can't find where to download to files even after searching this website for ours. So could someone point me in the right direction to download the drivers for the 3.0 usb port or tell me if it's something else that's wrong with it. Thank you.

Answers

• Vince53
    Vince53 Member Posts: 805 Practitioner WiFi Icon

Lek, can you tell us what your original operating system was? Also, can you recheck the entire model number of your laptop? I cannot find it listed anywhere on the web.

• LekramG

Sorry the model number was V3-551-8887 and the original operating system was Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. And I installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit not professional. Really sorry about that. Getting things mixed up.

• Vince53

Lek, you're not going to like this.

First, when you changed your operating system, you destroyed your Acer drivers. You might be able to re-install them from the Acer site. You also might be able to re-install your original system from your haidden partition or from recovery disks.

And now, I've researched your laptop on the web. I cannot find any reputable site that has reviewed it, meaning that it is an obscure model. I found a review on one sales site only that said that your machine has a USB3 port, and they probably got that off the sticker.

Your next step needs to be to check all your stickers, including the one on the box. You probably do  have a USB3 port, but you need to check. It should be painted blue or have a logo telling you that it is USB3. Also, it will have four holes instead of two. Unfortunately, by changing the operating system, you voided your warranty.

On the other hand, you paid a low price for a quad-core machine that gets high ratings from consumers. USB3 devices are not too common, and are usually designed for massive data transfer, such as external hard drives.

• LekramG

That's really unfortunate to hear, and it's definitely a 3.0 port. I just don't understand how that only 3.0 port would mess up. Every other driver on the laptop is fine. Would there be anywhere else from which I could obtain working 3.0 drivers besides Acer?

• Vince53

Yowser, Leckham. Acer doesn't recommend any download site other than their own, and they're not resonsible for the consequences if you really fould up everything.

Having said that...Try Device manager to see if you can find your port manufacturer. If that doesn't work, there are several free programs on the web that will analyze your hardware and they might tell you. Then you can check the manufacturer's site.

And now some strong advice. System Restore will roll you back to your previous settings and drivers, and do little else. It might delete a new program that changed your settings. Before you install any new drivers, always set a System Restore Point. But if you lock yourself out of your machine, you can't get to System Restore.

• suniljp
    suniljp Member Posts: 166 Troubleshooter

Is your computer chipset Intel one?

If so download and install the driver from the below link.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/USB%203.0/USB%203.0_Intel_1.0.4.220_W7x64_A.zip?acerid=634686063549298495&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE&Step3=ASPIRE V3-531G&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=EMEA_27

• LekramG

Sorry for the late response and no it's not. It's the AMD A70M FCH chipset

This discussion has been closed.