2012 Archives

This page has been archived.

The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links on this page to other sites may not work. This page has been archived for future reference.

See our Discussion Forums for more current content.

Topic

Visitor
davidslee_98

downgrade from windows 8 to windows 7 on Aspire M5-481PT

Has anyone here tried downgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 7 on an Apsire M5-481PT Ultrabook with Touchscreen?  Windows 8 came preinstalled. IE10 is incompatible with our web based company software. Also we hate the user interface.

Valued Leader
freeza

Re: downgrade from windows 8 to windows 7 on Aspire M5-481PT

Good day David

Yes. I can suggest that you first backup your Windows 8 factory image using the acer erecovery management. You have to backup on a flash drive. i suggest that you get a 32Gig Flash drive to be safe. Reason im suggesting that is because you will want to go back to Windows 8 very soon once most programs are compatible with windows 8.

Do a complete deletion of your HDD partition using a 3rd party software such as Acronis/ Disk Director......this is only a suggestion to make sure that you dont encounter any unforseen problems that Windows 8 partition may give.

Once you have loaded Windows 7, you can download the drivers from acer website. Please note that there is only 64Bit drivers available.

Regular Visitor
juliec98607

I have tried it and it's not as straight forward as simply installing Windows 7 and loading drivers.  There is considerable setup to get the SSD to be configured correctly for the Rapid Start to work correctly.  Presently, I'm trying to find the right version of Express Cache.  I found 1.0.86.0 but the support manual for the M5-581T says to use 1.0.82.0.  When I tried to install the 1.0.86.0 version, it complained about not being licensed to run.  Make sure you get the right version of Excpress Cache first or you will turn your Ultrabook into a Notebook with a downgrade to Windows 7.

Visitor
davidslee_98

Thanks for your replies. I appreciate it.

Visitor
davidslee_98

I imagine we will have to purchase Windows 7 as well? Or is this a free downgrade?

Regular Visitor
juliec98607

I have an MSDN subscription so I have whatever license keys I need.  But that would normally be a concern for anyone wishing to downgrade.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Long time Acer Community member and leader Padgett has reached a new milestone of 1500 posts helping and guiding others to solution. Please join me in congratulating Padgett on this accomplishment.

ACE Pioneer

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: