Would W510 be good for a student?

Options
KatePrendergast
KatePrendergast Member Posts: 2 New User

Is the w510 big enough to use for college? I would definitely be getting the keyoard as well. I would primarily be using the microsoft OneNote and Word programs, along with social networking and surfing the web as usual. I've wanted a tablet for awhile, but knew a laptop is more practical for college so I'm thinking this may be the best of both worlds! I prefer this to other hybrids because of the white aspects of te display (keys and border),the 18 hour battery life when attached to keyboard, the price, the weight, and the portability. I know I can get a usb hub to make up for the lack of multiple USB ports, and I will definitely be getting a stylus as well. Only thing I'm worried about is size and if this product feels premium. Im considering the lenovo yoga as well which I know feels very premium and sleek. I was wondering if this one feels cheap at all or feels pretty sleek and premium. Also, will it be difficult to type essays and do research with the iconia w510? I am a girl with relatively small hands so I'm hoping the keyboard won't be too much of an issue. I really need to get my hands on one to test it out myself but I havent seen it at best buy or anywhere else besides online. Thanks for any advice!

Answers

• LJH08
    LJH08 Member Posts: 50

Tinkerer

Options

Couple of things to consider. 2GB ram / Atom processor / 64GB storage... if you can get by with that for classes maybe.... but there are also other potential issues.. some rumors around of wifi bugs similar to what is happening in other first gen windows 8 tablets.  I've just got a w700, around 2 weeks ago. I really like it... but the cost for performance probably isn't there unless u need portability.

Assuming the w510 is around 600 bucks + 100 or 150 for keyboard i'd suggest waiting and seeing if the w700 keyboard case comes out. while it wouldn't be ideal either... you could use the w700 i3 model with keyboard dock... and have the option to upgrade the msata storage device at a later time.. and you'd also get hd4000 and 2 more GB of ram inside .... at least in the USA.. check your models... and the current setup w700 i3 USA model is around 750-800... so not much more if any than a w510.

It is heavier / thicker ... but I feel if your going to pay 750 ish anyways might as well get a decent processor and option to upgrade the internal storage... potential for bugs still there. A decent laptop and cheap tablet from andriod or iOS might be better ...

I know this is an acer forum but i'll point out.. the Acer models dont have a wacom stylus or support for one.. just a basic capative stylus like an ipad can use... but IMO unless your going to be using it for drawing i dont see that as a major drawback... my w700 has been fairly good with my finger and writing... i just find i can type on virtual keyboard faster than i can write.

Battery on by w700 has been around 4-7 hours depending on useage... (tend to watch alot of movies... surf web, ocasional game...) so i think it has decent battery for what it's doing..  If i turned down brightness and made power saving features more restrictive couple probably add an hour or maybe 2. But 18 is unlikely for the w700 model in my experience.

If your in the USA staples is adding several tablet models to their lineup might could fine an acer or other model to compare as well there.

Kinda rambled on while I was typing but I hope that gives you some things to consider... Its all just my thoughts and opinions so take it for what you will and decide what you need for your personal situtation.  To rap it up I'd say if I was in your shoes I'd go w700 i3 model or higher, or a Laptop + andriod tablet. Acer also makes both I believe. Again just my opinion and both of those options have other drawbacks lol.

Good luck with your search / decision.  :-)

• LJH08

Tinkerer

Options

Also I should point out I only have a w700 so I can't answer any of your questions specifically about the w510 other than comment on the raw stats....

Family does have another companies tablet that has almost exact same stats as the w510 though and I have played with that brand... assuming the acer model handles similarly... I'd recommend something with more power if  a paper on a deadline is required...

• KatePrendergast
    KatePrendergast Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Thank you very much! I'll check out the w700 too. 

And yes, I'm in the US--thanks for the heads up I'll keep looking to see if staples has it.

So you can still handwrite with a capacitive stylus though right? 

• LJH08

Tinkerer

Options

I find that it works... but its gonna be less precise than a Wacom stylus.... also depending on the program your going to use... if anything other than the basic tablet input UI then i would check with that program about capacitive touchscreen input being good enough.

Just for basic note taking I think it would be ok... in my personal opinion. but again.. i find that i can type even on the virtual Keyboard faster than write myself. 

Staples has some models not sure if they have the w510 yet... and i know they do NOT have the w700 or at least no where around me in the south US...

Just a heads up if you order the w700 online the case will probably be the basic model without an keyboard in the case... my model from tigerdirect USA was a stand alone keyboard... dock and bassic cover case... + tablet.

Supposidly there is a keyboard case but I haven't been able to find it yet....

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Options

If there is one around, I would suggest using the Microsoft store for a W510 since the price is the best I've seen and you get 90 days support from Microsoft.

If cost is important then a USB keyboard case from Amazon & mini mouse is what I use. About U$40. I did have to space the tablet out from the back to prevent heating at the upper right corner. The W510 is smaller than the G-tab I bought the case for but is OK.

Unfortunately if you need longer battery life then the dock is the only way right now. I ecpect some aftermaket power cords to fit an aux battery or car 12v outlet to be along soon but no-one has announced.

Since it can do everything a laptop can (you can connect to a real keyboard, mouse, and monitor) as the first real example of a whole new generation of small, it does what I expect. Do want a 7" version though.

This discussion has been closed.