Relplacement Hard Drive

Options
deDutchman
deDutchman Member Posts: 1 New User

Aspire 5552-5686.  Had this laptop about 18 mos now.  Had the hard drive replaced back in Feb this year and now it's gone again!  Is the Toshiba MK6476GSX just a crappy drive or am I just unlucky?  First one lasted 10 months, this one just 8 months.  Neither Acer or Toshiba want anything to do with the warranty, despite the fact it supposedly has a 1 yr manufacturers warranty.

Do I need to replace the drive with another 640GB in order to be able to use the restore disks I made after Acer installed the drive in Feb, or can I still use the recovery disks if I go to a 800GB or 1TB.   Reason why I ask is that I can't find a new 640.

If it needs to be the same size I either need to buy a new drive AND a copy of Windows 7 or relegate this 'less than 2 year old laptop' to the scrap pile and buy another HP Laptop.  My HP G62 is 5 years old and runs perfectly (knock on wood).

Looking forward to your assistance.

Answers

• tpaige0991
    tpaige0991 Member Posts: 98 Troubleshooter
    Options

The RCDS will work with any HDD as long as there is enough space, so you don't want to downgrade. You are safe to upgrade though.

This discussion has been closed.