Power button on Aspire 5570Z malfunctioning.

Options
NanC
NanC Member Posts: 4 New User

The power button on my Aspire 5570Z has been malfunctioning.

I took it to my local computer shop and they determined the AC adapter/charger was defective, plus other problems which would require replacing the motherboard, etc. They could not get the computer to turn on either but later, after letting it sit for a few hours, I fiddled with it again and it connected and came on. Since then I've kept it on, putting it into sleep mode rather than shutting down, and have not had any problems with getting it up and running again. I'm afraid to shut it down for fear I won't be able to get it to power on again. I think the problem is in the switch not the motherboard or the AC adapter/charger but I don't know how to proceed beyond this point. Any suggestions? Help? Has anyone else had problems with power buttons? I have a relative who had a similar problem with a tower unit (not an Acer but another brand) that developed problems with the switch similar to what I'm experiencing but she did not resolve that problem as she bought a new computer instead.

Answers

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Good day

I do suggest that you take it to Acer Repair Centre for diagnosis. You might be suprised and fine out that its just the middle cover that has to be replaced. Middle cover is that cover that has your power button and that cover comes with the power button. I had same problem and repaired that part, but i dont guarantee that its that part thats faulty....same fault can still be different component failures.

Regards,

Freeza

• NanC
    NanC Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion but there is no Acer repair center anyways near me that I know of. The shop I took it to actually sold Acers a few years ago but the tech who checked it out did so with a rinky-dink rig using a wire and a voltage tester that I wouldn't trust!

The switch began acting up now and then just a few weeks ago. It will click but not make connection. I learned that if I fiddled with it a bit, ran my fingernail along the edges, etc., it would usually then work. A couple of times now it was very stubborn and it took a lot of fiddling to get it to come on. I've detected no short in the AC adapter/charger, which was the first thing the tech proposed as the problem.

Staples sell Acers, which is where I bought this one in 2007, but as for repair, sorry I don't trust them! I had a problem when I first bought this and they were no help at all. The laptop is long out of warranty, of course. So where can I find an Acer Repair Center?

This discussion has been closed.