I have an Aspire One D250-1694 and the hard drive has failed.

mkelleher
mkelleher Member Posts: 3 New User

I have an Aspire One D250-1694 and the hard drive has failed. I do not have any restoration disks and it is out of warentee. How do I get the ISO for Windows starter to reinstall with my product key? Also, should I just create a bootable USB drive? What are the basic steps to get the operating system onto a new hard drive?

Thanks,

Mike

Answers

• Tabbiekatz
    Tabbiekatz Member Posts: 760 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

First, you need the recovery disks. Go to https://store.acer.com/en-us and see if you can't order it from there. If you are in another country, I would not know where to go. The restore disks will have the operating system and all the drivers for your computer.  

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Good day Mike

Just add on that. If you are in another country, you must contact the Acer Technical Support within that country. They might lead you to either a online URL to purchase the disc or they might send you a CD Request Form that you need to complete and send it back to them. I would like to further inform you though that there will be charges as media is chargeable.

Regards,

Freeza

• mkelleher

Unfortunately I went to that location to order the recovery disk. It asks for the SNID or S/N so I tried both but neither works. It returns the message 'No RCD available for the entered Serial Number.' almost like they don't support that model anymore. Tried googling but so far no luck

• mkelleher

Wow. I just found the number for technical support so I called them to ask where to get the restore disk. The tech said that it is only available for the first three years and since my netbook is 3.5 years old Acer doesn't provide the recovery disk! He suggested purchasing a new OS and reinstalling it. For the price of a new OS I can buy a netbook new. Pretty lousy support from Acer.

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Mmmm...thats not good. If you were in South Africa, I would have sent the discs to you free of charge.

Regards,

Freeza

This discussion has been closed.