How can enable TPM on Aspire S7-391-9886?

Options
marcelof
marcelof Member Posts: 4 New User

Hi, 

How can I enable TPM on Aspire S7-391-9886? I entered in BIOS and the option to enable it is always grayed out. I Read it was necessary to set an admin password before the option gets available but no luck. Any hint?

Thanks in advance

Marcelo 

Best Answer

• freeza
    freeza Member Posts: 1,316 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good day

I remember gotting it to activate in the following ways as well on one of the machines.

1. Go to the bios under security tab

2. Create supervisor and user password in the bios...Please DONT play around with the HDD password

3. Restart the machine and go to the bios and recheck

NB: If its still greyed out, then it means the bios supports it, BUT the physical hardware is not present. If the physical hardware supports it, then you can now enable it.

Regards,

Freeza

Answers

• freeza
    Options

Good day

Try to enable it in Windows. type tpm.msc or tpmadmin.msc

Regards,

Freeza

• marcelof
    Options

Hi, thanks for the suggestion but TPM has to be enabled on BIOS prior to enable it with TPM.msc.

Regards,

Marcelo

• freeza
    Options

Good day

You are correct, it has to be enabled. Also take into account that most OEM bios are not opened, they are locked. In many cases it is not turned on by default. Beside the fact that you can enable it in the bios, Does it say TPM: enabled or disabled in the bios?

When you run the commands that I suggested, what happens?

Regards,

Freeza

• freeza
    Options

Update: And also, TPM's is usually on business machines...TravelMates and Veritons

Regards,

Freeza

• marcelof
    Options

Hi,

In BIOS there is an option "Current TPM state" which is with value "no change". I read in a service manual that the possible values for this option are: No change, Enable & active, Deactivate & disable, Clear.

Answering your question, when I run tpm.msc is says it not possible to locate a compatible TPM in this computer. Check if the computer has a TPM 1.2 and if it is active in BIOS.

And yes, I want to use it at my work, the reason I'm lookiing to enable TPM.

Thanks,
    Marcelo 

• freeza
    Answer ✓
    Options

Good day

I remember gotting it to activate in the following ways as well on one of the machines.

1. Go to the bios under security tab

2. Create supervisor and user password in the bios...Please DONT play around with the HDD password

3. Restart the machine and go to the bios and recheck

NB: If its still greyed out, then it means the bios supports it, BUT the physical hardware is not present. If the physical hardware supports it, then you can now enable it.

Regards,

Freeza

• marcelof
    Options

Hi, 

Unfortunately TPM menu still not accessible. I suppose for the reason you mentioned. Although is a good machine I'll return mine.

Thanks for the suggestions and patience.

Marcelo.

• freeza
    Options

Thank you

Regards,

Freeza

This discussion has been closed.