2012 Archives

This page has been archived.

The content on this page may be out-of-date or have been superseded by newer information, and links on this page to other sites may not work. This page has been archived for future reference.

See our Discussion Forums for more current content.

Topic

Frequent Contributor
sopaj96

Can I format my Acer W700 without The Discs?

Title says it all, I dont have an external drive so I thought if I put the discs that came in the box in my desktop and move the content to a usb can I then format/restore that way? Thanks in advance :smileyhappy:

Contributing Member
cyberanto

Re: Can I format my Acer W700 without The Discs?

Have not tried it, but this article should help:

http://redmondmag.com/articles/2011/12/02/making-a-usb-flash-drive-bootable.aspx

there are options for boot as HD from USB, and boot as CD-ROM from USB in the boot order in the bios

Frequent Contributor
sopaj96

Well I dont want to boot, just format from the usb :/ Or is there any other options for restoring everything on my tablet?

New Contributor
LJH08

Swip from right. settings. pc settings. General. at the bottom has Remove everything and reinstall windows.

Not sure if this requires CD's or not... not gonna press it on mine LOL.

But what I think that he's getting at is you could use another computer, make a bootable flash drive OS .. and then copy an image of the CD onto the flash drive storage?  Change the boot order in the tablet ... boot off of the flash drive and then rerun OS installation from the CD image. Assuming you could get it to mount as a virtual CD. and make an image in the first place. 

Been looking into stuff similar to that myself but haven't gotten anywhere yet... just an idea to google about...

Hope this might help a bit.

New Contributor
LJH08

Er.. wasn't thinking at first... you should be able to use the CD to make a OS booting Flash drive.. which is what I think he actually means... basically converting a flash drive into a device that does the same thing as the CD...

CD on flash drive basically.   Can't simply copy paste and have it boot though.

So gotta make a USB bootable recovery media from CD ... then boot into USB device from the w700

Alterately you can probably install a full OS on the flash drive like i first said and then a virtual image of the CD.. but thats stupid really when you only want to restore the device. 

If that settings menu option doesn't work then a bootable flash drive is probably your best if not only option.

Frequent Contributor
sopaj96

I dont have external disc reader so I want to put the disc in my laptop then "take" all the things from the disc and put it in my usb and then stick the usb in my tablet and restore...

mic
Established Member
mic

[ Edited ]

can you test it to see if it works? (basically copy and paste file on dvd to usb). if not could you try the threads below

http://www.eightforums.com/installation-setup/12559-cant-find-option-burn-iso-disk.html#post138356 

look for post #4 . use prog esd-to-iso.   or

create bootable usb for uefi

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html 

another tool

http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&section=&global=1&q=windows+8&offset=72#/d4tus5n

of course you need to change boot order usb hdd and usb cdrom to first in bios if you haven't already

Frequent Contributor
sopaj96

there are four discs I need so I need to make sure it can workmwith all of them, I dont want a half recovery :/ If you can tell me excactly what to do then I will test it out :smileyhappy:

mic
Established Member
mic

i would test this to see if it works

1.make a usb bootable (using command lisk disk, diskpart.....) try format it fat32

2.copy all 4 dvd on to it

3.change boot setting order to usb hdd, usb cdrom in bios and while you there, create pass for superuser so you can disable secure boot.

4.plug in usb just create and boot from it to see if it works. if it does, expect 2hrs long process

re-enable secure boot back if you want after succesful boot from usb.

Welcome, Guest

Not A Member?   Register
Help
Language:
Member Highlight

Acer is proud to announce the promotion of Philetus to the ACE team. Philetus has been a member since March 2013 and has shown the skills and patience required to be a member of this exclusive, invite only team of experts. Congratulations Philetus!

ACE Pioneer

Did you know?

Acer Community is also available in the following languages: