Aspire M5-481PT windows 10 activation problem

psyphex
psyphex Member Posts: 7 New User

I updated from windows 8 that came preinstalled to 8.1

I would like to update to windows 10 and it said my computer qualified, so i updated and everything went smoothly.  That was until I tried to activate windows 10 it gave me an error saying that the product key was acivated on another device.  So im guessing the upgrade didnt account for the product key being built into the bios(UEFI).

I called Microsoft and they said my product key was good but tech support couldnt help me because the system was preinstalled.  They told me of course to contact Acer.  What can I do?

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

Did you use an ISO to update and not the migration tool ? In general the migration tool will pick up your current product key, generate a new key, and self-activate.

Have you tried to use the Windows phone activation ? I have not needed for Win 10 but may work for you. See here.

BTW running SLUI 4 from an admin command line may also work.

• psyphex

It is from the migration tool.  I have tried ever SLUI variation.  when I did the phone activation I actually talked to someone when it failed, they said my product key is perfectly valid and since they could not help they would refer me to tech support.  I then spoke with tech support and allowed them remote access to try and fix the problem.  Even after all that they were not able to activate windows for me and said I would have to contact Acer because it is a preinstalled system.  My error code states that my product key is being used on another PC try a different product key.  Unfortunately my laptop says it is out of warranty so Acer Tech Support isnt really a viable option.  Anyone have any ideas?

• padgett

First you need to retrieve the BIOS key if you have one. Companies like nirsoft make freeware programs to do this.

I do not have a M5 so cannot suggest more than generalities.

Are you running 7 or 8.1 now ? If they are activated you should be able to retrieve the key.

• psyphex
    I already retrieved the key before I called Microsoft they already said it is a valid key. For some odd reason it says the key is being used on another PC I didnt make any hardware changes. I have tried up updating to Windows 8.1 from 8 then going to windows 10 also tried from Windows 8 to 10 same result every time. Could this issue be from Secure boot or something conflicting with the UEFI Bios? Windows 8 and 8.1 have no problem activating. Anyone have any other suggestions?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer

I saw similar problems with Dell machines recently. Dell said Microsoft had a corrupt database, Microsoft said Dell was screwing up, and Google said it might be nefarious types hacking into the database of numbers, allowing pirated copies to be registered before the legitimate ones. I was able to use Microsoft support for force activation using their telephone activation line.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • psyphex

So anyone have any other advice?  I am considering disabling secure boot and just loading linux on this laptop.  I can't stand Windows 8/8.1 and the "charms" bar.  I would much rather use windows 10 even in its infacy.  Would unregistering the product key using slmgr be of any use?  Im guessing that the UEFI bios holding the key somehow messes up Windows 10 activation from being successful, stating that the key is in use by another PC... Come on Acer...

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

it's Microsoft servers issue, you need to contact Microsoft again and ask them to give you another product key or unregister windows 8.1 key and let you activate under windows 10.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • padgett

Best to upgrade, might open a command line box ( CMD) with admin privileges (right click) then run SLUI 4 and follow the instructions for a voice activation.

• psyphex
    I already tried phone activation it says cannot be activated then it refers me to Microsoft support where they tell me my product key is perfectly valid but they cant activate it.
  • padgett

Well there are several ways (8.1 is easier but can do with 8) to make it default/boot to a Windows 7-like desktop.