Acer Aspire 5534 stuck in sleep mode w/black screen

Eister
Eister Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello All....first time posting, so thank you in advance for any suggestions regarding a Black Screen problem.

After upgrading my 6 yr. old Acer Aspire 5534 laptop from Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit to Windows 10 it frequently will not wake up from sleep.  Black screen with fan and blue power light on, but no response until I unplug the adapter and hold down the power button, then it starts up normally.  I am not an advanced user, but read for hours the last time it happened and did change Power Settings to uncheck fast start up, but that did not help.

Then I read update video card driver, but when I went to the Acer Canada website I don't see any updates past 2009 when I purchased this laptop....other than this really annoying problem Windows 10 seems to be working well. 

Answers

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I *think* you have an Intel gm45/gl40 graphics chipset and the latest drivers may be here. If not you need  to run MSINFO32, then select System Summary>Components>Display and see what is listed as the Name, Adapter type, and Driver Version.

• Eister
  • Eister

Sorry, first time figuring out how to make a screenshot hope this one is clearer.  I have an AMD Athlon 64 bit TF-20.

Screenshot (3).png

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer

AMD has drivers for the ATI Radeon HD 3200 up through Windows 8 here (64bit version). Try that in compatibility mode.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Eister

On the AMD page there are 2 download options...Catalyst Software Suite, or the Latest Beta Driver released 3 mos. later.  I tried to download just the latest beta driver and received error msg. "the signature of the file is corrupt or invalid" and it would not proceed.  Would you suggesst I try to download the Catalyst Software Suite?

Thanks again

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder

I used the entire suite. That includes the setup utility.

• Eister

Still plugging along here...took me ages to figure out that I could go to downloads and override the Smartscreen block, which happened again on the full Suite download.  Anyway all seemed to be going well with the downloaded suite, chose "Express" mode but the end report said FAIL on the driver download.  Not sure if it would help if I tried to download the suite again, or the newer "beta" driver, or if I should just leave things as is and see if the problem is resolved.  All your advice is appreciated, thanks again.

Screenshot (4).png