how to replace Acer Aspire V5-473P keyboard

bmeek
bmeek Member Posts: 7 New User
edited December 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hi there,

Several keys have died on my daughter's V5-473P keyboard.  I searched here and all I found were lots of customers complaining about failed keyboards with no answers, so I ordered a $20 replacement keyboard on ebay.

My question is about how to remove the top panel/bezel that surrounds the entire keyboard and touchpad?  It seems like any effort to use a thin lever to pry it up would damage it...  Do I need to come at it from the bottom by removing the motherboard, etc? 

I'm trying to repair this on the cheap, since it's barely out of warranty and after removing the bottom case, I find it's falling apart around many of the screw holes (the bottom case appears more pricey than the keyboard).

Thanks.

Best Answer

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,018 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

Hmmm... Your frame+keyboad is this one. If you look at the metal plate (bottom of the kb), it is welded by ultrasonic (grey pins look like mushrooms) and not screwed.

Unfortunately you'll need this part:

Spoiler
    60.MAXN7.056COVER.UPPER.US-INT.GRAY.BL (BL=Backlit)
    France

Answers

• laurent_14

Hello,

1. First did you buy the upper cover (frame) with keyboard or only the keyboard?
    2. Could you give me the first ten characters of the computer serial number (S/N)? Only the first ten.

France
  • bmeek

Hello Laurent,

The serial number prefix: NXMBGAA007

I ordered only the keyboard (and didn't see any options for one that included the upper cover).  There are a lot of eBay vendors selling the keyboard, so I assume these failures are not uncommon.

Thank you!

• laurent_14
    Answer ✓

Hmmm... Your frame+keyboad is this one. If you look at the metal plate (bottom of the kb), it is welded by ultrasonic (grey pins look like mushrooms) and not screwed.

Unfortunately you'll need this part:

Spoiler
    60.MAXN7.056COVER.UPPER.US-INT.GRAY.BL (BL=Backlit)
    France
  • bmeek

*****.  It seems to me that Acer should not have model variations like this!  Why should some Acer Aspire V5-473P models use this keyboard, while others need a much more elaborate (and expensive) assembly? 

Well, thank you for the info. 

I was originally very happy about the value of this computer - good specs at a good price.  Now I understand that it's designed to be disposable after the warranty period.  I hesitate to pay for the repair costs...

• cmdevendran
    cmdevendran Member Posts: 4 New User

My laptop too have the same issue, certain numeric keys doesn't work and need to press hard to make it work. The first 10 digit of the sl.no is NXMBDSG001. Will buying the keyboard alone suffice or do i need to buy with the frame?

Thanks in Advance.

Dev

• laurent_14

Hi cmdevendran,

Sorry but I didn't find your laptop. What model do you own exactly and which language for the KB?

France
  • cmdevendran

The model is V5-473P-54204G50aii. It is ENG - US keyboard.

Thanks

Devendran

• laurent_14

Please delete your S/N.

I have several part numbers so I need more information:

• Color of the frame: Grey or rose gold?
    • Keyboard: Backlit or No backlit?
    France
  • cmdevendran

Colour of the frame : grey and no backlit

• laurent_14

Hello,

Here is the part number of your keyboard:

Spoiler
    60.MAXN7.027COVER.UPPER.W/TP.KB.US-INT.NBL.GRAY (with touchpad, no backlit and gray). Link stated for the pictures.

As you can see on the picture of the rear, the keyboard is welded by ultrasonic (the plastic pins look like mushrooms) so unremovable.

You can request a quote and place an order from your Acer store by phone or by chat.

France
  • cmdevendran

Thanks for the information. Will try to get the response from them. Appreciate your help.

• aceraspirev5
    aceraspirev5 Member Posts: 3 New User
    hello laurent_14

i'm attempting to purchase the same keyboard with frame from the top of the thread. The same as the person who started the thread. Your link doesn't seem to be working for me. Could you point me in the right direction? I'm having difficulty finding it on acer's website. 

Please help. Thank you for your time.
  • aceraspirev5
    aceraspirev5 Member Posts: 3 New User
    hello laurent_14

i'm attempting to purchase the same keyboard with frame from the top of the thread. The same as the person who started the thread. Your link doesn't seem to be working for me. Could you point me in the right direction? the spoiler links also do not work for me. thank you
  • lynn740
    lynn740 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Will buying the keyboard alone suffice or do i need to buy with the frame?

-------------------
    http://chatfavs.com

• Love2muchTV
    Love2muchTV Member Posts: 1 New User
    For all those wanting to replace the keyboard, double check to see if that the keyboard cable is very tight. I had this issue. The battery swelled just enough to pull the cable loose on one side.