External monitor 120Hz Acer Aspire v15 vn7-591

milodca
milodca Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

I have an external monitor with 120Hz refresh rate connected over HDMI port to my notebook. I can not properly configure monitor settings, because it shows me only values up to 60Hz. Is there any way to get 120Hz on HDMI video output? Is it possible to disable intergrated Intel GPU and use only NVidia Geforce GTX 960M as default?

Thanks for any ideas,

Milo 

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon

Hi,

You have a notebook and is not a PC. On a notebook you cannot disable the integrated graphics. In a notebook the "dedicated GPU" is not a self standing GPU which works independently of the integrated graphics, it's a co processor, which kicks in when it's needed (depending on the Nvidia optimus technology).

And now for the rest. Your processor should be a 4720HQ, with intel HD graphics 4600 which supports HDMI 1.4b, thus the maximum refresh rate supported is 60 Hz at 4k and there is no resolution at which it will support 120 Hz or higher. You need HDMI 2.0 for this. You will not manage to make the notebook to output higher than 60 Hz, no matter what monitor you will plug in and no matter what cable you use.

LE: It's not a limit of the HDMI itself but of the integrated graphics chip which will not output more than 60Hz. I missed the row in the HDMI specification table. The 1.4b version of HDMI supports 120Hz at 1080p.