Crashing problems with the Aspire V Nitro Black Edition VN7-791 series

seekerentertain
seekerentertain Member Posts: 3 New User

Okay so I got an Aspire V nitro as gift at christmas time and was pretty excited about it but there's been a lot of problems with it. On the very first day I had it, it crashed while running a game on High Graphics. This problem has persisted over the past six months as an on off problem. What typically happens is the game is running kind of laggy and juttering even when using the Nivida Graphics, then the screen will cut to black and it turns off. If I hit the power but it lights the red lights under the keyboard for a split second but then turns off. It typically takes about 20 minutes for the laptop to actually turn on again.

This is just getting more and more annoying as the days go by, does anyone else have this problem and if so how do you fix it?

Best Answer

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Are you sure is a temperature issue? It is a 791G, so it's bigger than the 591G and it should not have throttling issues. Did you try to monitor your temperature, CPU clock frequency, CPU and GPU usage? You should do this before assuming is could be a temperature issue. Also are your fans running?

If you are certain that is a temperature issue and your fans run as it is expected than you could try to use a coolingpad and change the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. The latter suggestion will definitely improve the problem.

However, I quite doubt that is a CPU/GPU temperature issue because in the first place these would throttle and not suddenly turn off your computer. They have a lot of build it protection against overheating and the sudden shutdown to protect the components is the last option of these protection mechanisms. I am honestly expecting that you have some sort of other problem or for some reason your fans are not working correctly, or you have a lot of dust in the cooling system.

I use my 591G (4720HQ and 960M) and even when I do intense bioinformatics (using both GPU's for computing and all CPU cores, all at 100% usage) I never had the issue with sudden shutdown. And believe me no game can put such a stress on your notebook except benchmarking applications. I have issues with thermal throttling, but never had issue with sudden shutdown, and is a smaller notebook with less space, thus smaller airflow and worse cooling than the 791G which has the same configuration.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Are you playing on high in Full HD? Gaming Performance

Our Acer Aspire VN7-791G-759Q manages frame rates above 40 in almost every tested game with high settings and a resolution of 1366x768 pixels, including very GPU-demanding titles like Crysis 3, Thief or Hitman: Absolution, but they are too much for the system in Full HD and the highest settings.

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-V17-Nitro-VN7-791G-759Q-Notebook-Review.126701.0.html

• seekerentertain
    seekerentertain Member Posts: 3 New User

Okay so I already made a previous post on this but the answer to the problem turned out to not work. So I was playing a game with some friends, the game was running on the lowest possible graphics and the only other thing running in the background was skype. The computer after an hour cut to a black screen and shut down for about ten minutes for what I'm assuming was an overheating problem. Is there anyway I can fix this because it's really getting annoying. 

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Are you sure is a temperature issue? It is a 791G, so it's bigger than the 591G and it should not have throttling issues. Did you try to monitor your temperature, CPU clock frequency, CPU and GPU usage? You should do this before assuming is could be a temperature issue. Also are your fans running?

If you are certain that is a temperature issue and your fans run as it is expected than you could try to use a coolingpad and change the thermal paste on the CPU and GPU. The latter suggestion will definitely improve the problem.

However, I quite doubt that is a CPU/GPU temperature issue because in the first place these would throttle and not suddenly turn off your computer. They have a lot of build it protection against overheating and the sudden shutdown to protect the components is the last option of these protection mechanisms. I am honestly expecting that you have some sort of other problem or for some reason your fans are not working correctly, or you have a lot of dust in the cooling system.

I use my 591G (4720HQ and 960M) and even when I do intense bioinformatics (using both GPU's for computing and all CPU cores, all at 100% usage) I never had the issue with sudden shutdown. And believe me no game can put such a stress on your notebook except benchmarking applications. I have issues with thermal throttling, but never had issue with sudden shutdown, and is a smaller notebook with less space, thus smaller airflow and worse cooling than the 791G which has the same configuration.