Acer Aspire V5-571 and Windows 10 - need some advice

alex_ncfc
alex_ncfc Member Posts: 35 Devotee WiFi Icon

Hi all,

Hoping that somebody can help me here and offer some feedback.

I have the Acer Aspire V5-571 Ultrathin laptop (1.4Ghz, 6GB RAM) I know that this model is not on the supported Windows 10 list for Acer laptops, but somebody must have surely tried it? Also, the Windows 10 upgrade icon and application suggests that I am "Good to go!" and can install Windows 10 with no problems. However, I have not tried it yet.

Has anybody tried updating Windows 8.1 (that came with this laptop) to Windows 10 and how did it go? Does everything work (Audio, keyboard function buttons, bluetooth, wifi - anything) as it is supposed to and as it does on Windows 8.1? Are there any pitfalls I need to look out for, or indeed is there any reason why you think I should stay on Windows 8.1 (I actually love Windows 8.1 on this laptop, it runs fantastically well with no issues, other than the laptop getting very hot and noisy but that's not Windows fault) but I always like to have the latest stuff, especially as it's free this time around.

What do you think, should I upgrade?

Thanks

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

First Create a Recovery Drive. You need a 16GB USB drive.

I upgraded a V3-551 from 8.1 and had no problems and a Aspire 5250 from Win 7 without a error or a driver problem. Others using laptops (made) for Win 10 have problems.

If you made your Recovery Drive, you're protected, go ahead and upgrade. 

If you have problems, try rolling it back or do a Full Recovery.

Use the following steps to create your backup drive:

1. Press the Windows (Image: icon_Windows8_key.png) key + Q.
    2. Type Recovery, and click Acer Recovery Management.
    3. Click Create Factory Default Backup.
    4. Select Copy content from the recovery partition to the recovery drive, and click Next.
    5. Select your USB Flash Drive, and click Next.
    6. Click Create. When asked to delete the recovery partition from your computer, click No.
    7. Now you are protected. You can format the HDD, if need be, and recover your laptop to Factory configuration.
  • alex_ncfc
    alex_ncfc Member Posts: 35 Devotee WiFi Icon

Thanks for the reply.

I made a backup and updated to Windows 10 and for the most part, I am happy with it but for a couple of issues:

Bootup seems much longer, especially the time between entering my password and getting to the Windows 10 desktop. Even when it gets to the desktop, it seems to take forever to load desktop icons and the taskbar icons and become responsive. It's not startup apps or scheduled tasks as these are at a minimum.

Also, I've lost my Bluetooth send/receive files ability! I used to be able to right click on a file and click "Send to bluetooth device" and it would would have a list of the Bluetooth devices I could send to. Now I have nothing. Is there any way I can get this back? Bluetooth is working, but I just don't have the means to send or receive files.

Thanks