Acer Aspire V3-772G graphic card upgrade

TheANARXIST
TheANARXIST Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello everyone. I asked on reddit and did some research and finally found out that I couldn't upgrade my laptop's video card the traditional way. However, someone suggested that I use the eGPU but told me to check if my laptop would support it. I would also like to know the possible repercussions of this installation (someone said that I may have to remove my laptop's wireless functionality.)

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Short answer, it does not worth.

Most of the commercial version of the eGPU's out there connect via thunderbolt 3 and you don't have such a port to connect the device in the first place.

The other person who told you about loss of the functionality of the WIFI card for sure suggested to make your own eGPU, which would connect to the PCIe slot where the wifi card would connect. That's something which requires a lot of knowledge and more importantly it will not be a plug an play, and nobody can even guarantee that even if you make it by yourself it would work. Of course there are some external adapters which would connect the graphics card to the PCIe slot where the wifi card should be but as I told above nobody can guarantee that it will work. Moreover, you will need to have always the notebook open, or make some sort of "hole" in order to manage the connection, since the PCIe port it's, of course, inside the notebook.

Answers

• sharky25k
    sharky25k Member Posts: 473 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

Hi,

Short answer, it does not worth.

Most of the commercial version of the eGPU's out there connect via thunderbolt 3 and you don't have such a port to connect the device in the first place.

The other person who told you about loss of the functionality of the WIFI card for sure suggested to make your own eGPU, which would connect to the PCIe slot where the wifi card would connect. That's something which requires a lot of knowledge and more importantly it will not be a plug an play, and nobody can even guarantee that even if you make it by yourself it would work. Of course there are some external adapters which would connect the graphics card to the PCIe slot where the wifi card should be but as I told above nobody can guarantee that it will work. Moreover, you will need to have always the notebook open, or make some sort of "hole" in order to manage the connection, since the PCIe port it's, of course, inside the notebook.

• TheANARXIST
    TheANARXIST Member Posts: 4 New User

Thank you. I guess I'll have to wait until I can buy a newer laptop. Thanks again.