B115-MP won't recognize my SSD

AustinJerry
AustinJerry Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter

I want to replace the standard hard drive with a SSD and perform a fresh OS install.  However, when boot is set to UEFI, no bootable devices are recognized.  I solved the problem by switching to Legacy boot, but now that the new SSD is set up, I can't switch back to UEFI.  Does this really make any difference, or should I just leave it configured as Legacy boot?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

which OS are you installing?

if you install under Legacy, you can't easilyt switch to UEFI, it's better to install under UEFI.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • AustinJerry

Perhaps my original post did not contain enough information.  Here are the steps I followed:

1.  Created a bootable USB drive using the Microsoft USB/DVD downloat tool (Windows 8.1 64-bit).

2.  Opened the B115-MP and replaced the hard drive with a new Samsung EVO 120GB SSD.

3.  Inserted the bootable USB and powered on the system.

4.  Received the error message "No bootable drives".

5.  Pressed F12, and no devices were in the list.

6.  Entered BIOS, changed boot option to "Legacy".

7.  Booted the laptop again--this time the USB drive was recognized and the OS proceeded to install proprely.

8.  Completed the install without issues.

9.  Downloaded and installed all the Windows 8.1 drivers from the Acer website.

10.  Switched back to UEFI boot in BIOS.

11.  Received same error message "No bootable drives".

12.  Switched back to Legacy boot, and the laptop boots just fine.

Do you see any flaw in my approach?  Is there any issue with leaving Legacy boot as the setting?

• IronFly

yes, the main flaw is to use Legacy using windows 8.1

can you try one thing?

set UEFI but disable secure boot and try to boot from USB flash drive.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27071/~/how-to-enable-or-disable-secure-boot

• AustinJerry

Thank you for the link explaining how to disable secure boot.  It certainly was not intuitive.

However, after disabling secure boot, and setting boot to UEFI, the B115-MP still will not recognize the bootable USB drive.  I tried plugging the drive into several USB ports.  I even re-created the USB bootable device to make sure it was set up properly.

Perhaps you could answer my previous question--what impact does it have if I simply leave the laptop configured for legacy boot?  The laptop seems to be working just fine, and the SSD boot-up time is very fast.

Edit:  I created a second bootable USB drive to rule out the drive being the issue.  Still no luck.

• IronFly

UEFI support is more secure and use a more recent GPT partition table, other that some laptops can encounter some issues on hardware support.

http://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-UEFI-and-Legacy-Mode-which-we-need-to-choose-while-installing-the-OS

if the boot list is empty, i suspect that the microsoft tool is not burning the downloaded iso as UEFI bootable.

if you are curious and have some spare time, using the microsoft download tool, choose to download the iso file, once done, use Rufus to burn the iso file to your USB pen, choosing UEFI only partition scheme.

http://rufus.akeo.ie/?locale=en_US

• AustinJerry

Since my last post, I have read up on the advantages of UEFI at this link:  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh824898.aspx.  I don't see anything that compels me to change from the Legacy boot option.  I also read a number of web pages outlinging various procedures to convert my disk to UEFI, but all involve some work/risk.

Since it has taken me a considerable amount of time to complete the setup of my Windows 10 installation, I am going to leave things the way they are.  My thanks to the advice that was given here--I have learned some new things.

• IronFly

You welcome. 

yes the link you reported is really good, to be more Acer specific, on some laptops switching to Legacy can create video corruptions, touchpads not working, touchscreen not working and some random crashes.

that's all. Smiley Happy

• AustinJerry

Interesting.  As I reported in a separate thread, my touchpad has been giving me issues.  Perhaps I should renew my efforts to get switched over to UEFI.  I dread having to start over with a complete re-install, so I will need to do some research to see if this can be avoided.  Any advice would be appreciated.

By the way, I have confirmed that using Rufus does indeed create a UEFI-bootable USB stick. 

• AustinJerry

I went ahead and re-installed from scratch using the UFEI-bootable USB stick.  Everything is working flawlessly now, with the exception of the touchpad, which continues to become unresponsive occasionally.  Thanks again for the advice.

• IronFly

you welcome.

do a search if touchpad windows 10 compatible drivers are available.