[Acer Travelmate P253-E] What RAM type should I buy?

leSamo
leSamo Member Posts: 4 New User

So I wanna buy more RAM and there is 1 slot occupied by DDR3 4GB 1.5V RAM, and 1 free slot in which this first RAM doesn't fit (the slot is not deep enough). Is something wrong or there are 2 different slots? I tried everything:

msinfo32 --> RAM type unknown

--> motherboard unknown

intel documentation --> both slots should be DDR3 1.5V

external programs --> motherboard unknown, RAM slots unknown

acer documentation --> can't find my model

I can't look inside the notebook because I'd lose warranty.

What type is 2nd slot? Should they be same? Is something wrong?

Answers

• laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,046 Trailblazer

Hello,

Your laptop supports up to 8Gb - DDR3 - 1333/1600MHz (2x4Gb). You will able to find the brand and the part number of your current module with HWiNFO portable version (no installation). These are the same memory modules for both slots. You have to return (heads or tails) and insert the module for the free slot.

Here are the original memory module of 4Gb:

Spoiler
    KN.4GB03.009SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333 (Nanya)
    KN.4GB03.013SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1600 (Nanya)
    KN.4GB04.005SODIMM.4GB.DDR3L-1333 (Micron)
    KN.4GB07.001SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333 (Kingston)
    KN.4GB07.003SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1600 (Kingston)
    KN.4GB07.015SODIMM.4GB.DDR3L-1600 (Kingston)
    KN.4GB09.005SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1600 (Elpida)
    KN.4GB0B.015SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333 (Samsung)
    KN.4GB0G.012SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1333 (Hynix)
    KN.4GB0G.019SODIMM.4GB.DDR3-1600 (Hynix)
    France
  • leSamo
    Thank you, but my problem is that the same RAM that fits in slot 1 doesn't fit in slot 2... The pins and hole between pins are aligned but I can't push the RAM deep enough into socket (or how is it called) it's like half a cm overflowing and not even clipping into these thingies on left and right... and it's obviously not registering this module... I can provide you photos if you don't understand what's my problem
  • leSamo

slots

• JonM
    JonM Member Posts: 25 New User

I think I might know what's going on here. leSamo could you tell us how are you installing this RAM module? Just a little note. If you're trying to push the module straight into the slot, it wont seat right and will cause the issue you're having. I've noticed when changing or installing RAM in a laptop, you have to put the RAM into the slot on somewhat of a 45 degree angle until it goes all the way in (it might take a little wiggling up and down to get it right), and then press it downward onto the clips. Let me know if that helps you out.

• leSamo

Yes I am putting it in in 45° and then pushing it towards slot. Then it makes this *click* sound but only in slot 1.

• JonM
    JonM Member Posts: 25 New User

Have you checked with a magnifying glass for debris or any bent pins? Depending on the age of the machine, the slot may need to be blown out with some canned/compressed air to remove any dust. I doubt that there is some sort of feature present that would prevent you from putting a memory stick into slot 2 if slot 1 is empty, but that could be a possibility. Sometimes RAM (especially laptop memory) does take a little extra elbow grease to get in. (I've dealt with a couple stubborn laptops before) It's scary sometimes because you feel like you're going to break the motherboard, but just be cautious and make sure you're using even pressure on both sides of the module.